What are the keys to rut setups?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

What are the keys to rut setups?

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:55 pm

My searches haven't yielded as many results as I had hoped. If you were to hit the top 3-5 key factors when looking at a map or on foot for the pre-rut and rut stand locations...what would they be in order from most critical to least critical? I'm sure there are a number of links if anyone has any. Thanks
I.e.
1 A long ridge for cruising
2 downwind trail from doe bedding
3 scrape line near thick cover
4 etc...
5 etc...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bucky

Re: What are the keys to rut setups?

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:32 am

Topography and doe bedding for me

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:51 am

1. Water
2. Food
3. Thick Cover/Bedding
4. Relation to other properties
5. Topography

The first 3 are key. 4 and 5 gauge trophy potential.

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:20 am

I understand what topography means.......but boy is it hard for me to understand how to apply it to deer hunting. :think: ....I guess I look at a map and I see a saddle or a ridge or a bench...but applying this information really confuses me.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:28 am

1. Preseason scouting

2. Understanding what is happening on a daily basis. I see SO MUCH MISINFORMATION on internet. Lots of web based experts and TV experts that really don't have a clue

3. DOES, DOES, DOES

4. Don't over hunt a stand/location

5. Entrance and exit

6. Funnels and natural deer movement

7. Adapting to changing conditions

Learn these and where to set up during the rut will be clear

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:18 am

Get somewhere around where the does are traveling. Normally would be in trail or trails that lead from bedding to their current food source in the afternoon or between food source and bedding for mornings. Also if you can find areas that they just hang out in a lot...maybe an oak flat...for me these areas typically show as having been heavily browsed yet still some browse remaining.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:14 am

Thanks guys for the answers...I think I should've said I'm looking for a lil more detail if you've got it. My examples might not have been the best at getting my point across. I know topography, food, pressure, cover, water and scent control are needed to harvest deer, but I'm looking maybe for something that you feel you do differently. It might be something that you feel gives you the edge over other hunters when the rut is in full force. I heard Dan say that bucks like the extra long ridges to cruise.

Bass- you've been blowing up the "live on the stand" thread with sightings...what made you choose those particular trees?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:22 am

I think a lot of guys stumble on hunting "trails"... mature bucks don't use those trails. They use topography, thermals, parallel trails, prevailing winds to scent check those trails. Once u realize this... your buck success soars

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:29 am

I like doe areas to me this is the most critical key during the peak rut. If you think about it the bucks are on their feet. What are the bucks doing on their feet? Looking for does. :think: I could go into many other key steps but the does are most critical piece of the equation during the peak rut.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:31 am

Bucky wrote:I think a lot of guys stumble on hunting "trails"... mature bucks don't use those trails. They use topography, thermals, parallel trails, prevailing winds to scent check those trails. Once u realize this... your buck success soars

This is so true. I can't remember killing a buck on an established game trail I do not hunt them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:32 am

Bucky wrote:I think a lot of guys stumble on hunting "trails"... mature bucks don't use those trails. They use topography, thermals, parallel trails, prevailing winds to scent check those trails. Once u realize this... your buck success soars

the proverbial light bulb just turned on :think: this is great, simple advice
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:02 am

I can't give you an exact key of why I picked my trees as every area is unique. This time of year it starts with a good bedding area. Then it is as simple as determining how a buck moves through the area.

If there is one thing I would emphasize more than anything else it is access. Both timing and how you do it. The cleaner the access the better. Sometimes this means getting in extra early. Sometimes it means getting in after light. Sometimes its half early and the final approach once the thermals rise. Oftentimes the access is physically demanding. The easy way isn't always the best way, especially on public land. If clean access is impossible, how do you minimize the collateral damage? Do you need wait for car doors to start slamming in the parking areas before pushing through an area?

Just like Bucky's post there is no recipe for sure success. You need to be analytical. There are exceptions to every rule of thumb. Best way to learn is to give it some good thought, observe, analyze, and adjust. You'll still make mistakes, but that is 90% of the fun.

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:07 am

Does, does, does. Downwind of bedding, especially if downwind side is also the side does enter the bedding. Hunting "light" trails that travel perpendicular to doe trails (bedding to food). Topography... I only hunt low land, but a 1-2' rise can be great bedding. I would assume hunting terrain in the hills could bring some big bucks into your lap.but most importantly DOES, be by does.

bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:27 am

worth repeating, learned that the hard way
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:31 am

justin84 wrote:

the proverbial light bulb just turned on :think: this is great, simple advice

Great advice! Never really gave this point a thought. I don't hunt trails much either but do keep note of them. I also never catch a big buck using one either so good point!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”