Cloud cover/rain thermal tunnel?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bwwma

Cloud cover/rain thermal tunnel?

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Does cloud cover, rain, and cold fronts weaken the thermals? This afternoon I hunted a good looking spot. I hunted the leeward side of a east west running ridge with a north wind. It has been cloudy and raining the past couple of days, but the rain stopped around 4pm with a cold front coming in and I was in a tree. When I would drop my milkweed, it kept going with the prevailing wind, it didn't drop or tumble. I know the thermals being to reverse before dark pulling down. Was I above the thermal tunnel? Or did the cloud cover and cold front weaken the thermals?

Crazinamatese

Re: Cloud cover/rain thermal tunnel?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Clouds, precipitation does weaken thermals. However, it doesn't mean thermals aren't there. I threw some milkweed seeds last week after a heavy rain fall with cloud cover on top of a ridge. There was a cold wind out of the west. The milkweed drifted downwind until it caught some thermal action off the leeward side and blew it up and almost straight back to me. I also noticed fog forming and drifting rapidly up the leeward slope near the 1/3rd elevation. Warmer moist air meeting cold air causing the fog to form. Not sure if you were experiencing the thermal tunnel. Sounds more like your milkweed was being blasted by the prevailing wind.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm still learning how to use the thermals. I just knew if my milkweed didn't go where the deer would be traveling I'd be better off.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:29 pm

In hill country its hard to do because of the swirling winds and eddies associated with the terrain. If my milkweed drifts far away but stays about 15 feet or more off the ground, I usually think Im doing ok.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”