Help with a shot on a big buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vwj

Help with a shot on a big buck

Unread postby vwj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:35 pm

So today I finally took a shot at a big one. I snort wheezed him in on a string but I was in a thick and nasty spot. Had a straight up and down shot, put the pin on between shoulder blade and let him have it.
Shot him at 415pm, waited till dark to look at the arrow and it had meat and blood and some white hair by the nock. Backed out to try and find him tmrw.
I'm worried that I might have not hit him good, but anyone with experience with that type of shot and what was the outcome? I'm hoping that leaving him overnight will turn out to be good news. Any positive comments would help! Lol, thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

stash59

Re: Help with a shot on a big buck

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Was he facing you?
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:42 pm

vwj wrote:So today I finally took a shot at a big one. I snort wheezed him in on a string but I was in a thick and nasty spot. Had a straight up and down shot, put the pin on between shoulder blade and let him have it.
Shot him at 415pm, waited till dark to look at the arrow and it had meat and blood and some white hair by the nock. Backed out to try and find him tmrw.
I'm worried that I might have not hit him good, but anyone with experience with that type of shot and what was the outcome? I'm hoping that leaving him overnight will turn out to be good news. Any positive comments would help! Lol, thanks

Some people consider straight on shot unethical. But I do it. Killed a doe and good buck by shooting them in the briscuit. Both heart shot. How much penetration? This is important.
vwj

Unread postby vwj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Yes he was facing me and the shot went straight thru him. That was the only shot that was available, but this is the first time I've ever shot at a deer this angle.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:47 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
vwj wrote:So today I finally took a shot at a big one. I snort wheezed him in on a string but I was in a thick and nasty spot. Had a straight up and down shot, put the pin on between shoulder blade and let him have it.

Some people consider straight on shot unethical. But I do it. Killed a doe and good buck by shooting them in the briscuit. Both heart shot.[glow=red]How much penetration? This is important.[/glow]

yep very important.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:48 pm

What distance? and how high did you hit him in the brisket?
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
vwj

Unread postby vwj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:50 pm

The buck didn't even go far or even know that it was hit. He went about 80 yards and then I saw him do a little subtle stagger, but then walked right back to where he came from and then nothing after that.

vwj

Unread postby vwj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:52 pm

I was about 10-12ft up and the Distance was 5 yards cause he came in so quick and the only shot window was a size of a plate.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Shot through left or right of spine from above... or shot head on just under white patch of throat?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Shot a buck like you did years ago. I never found him. But I made plenty of mistakes. Like me you missed the spine. The angle on even a almost straight down shot will put the arrow through the liver and guts. Treat him as a gut shot animal and wait at least 12 hours.

I took up the trail too soon because i thought i hit at least 1 lung along with some important blood vessels near the vitals. Drawing a to scale diagram and research showed me where the arrow actually traveled through the animal.

If your here in Wisconsin where it's raining it will be tough. May need to rely on grid searching or even think about calling in a tracking dog. Be patient and don;t give up. Odds are he will die overnight. Get all the help you can and grid search thoughrally and with an organized plan.

Good luck!!
vwj

Unread postby vwj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:11 pm

He was litterly underneath me, slight quarter towards me and his head was facing slightly right towards me. Almost like on a clock, little hand on 5, if you can get that picture. and I put it on the left side of the spin, no gut smell on the arrow.
Do you remember on dans opening vids and he was fake shooting a big buck that came under his stand but shook his head saying he didn't want to shoot that one. That's how close the buck was.

vwj

Unread postby vwj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:14 pm

MN, looks dry the whole night and day. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. :)

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Bad experiences with that shot. No blood. But likely dead deer.

Good luck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:25 pm

Lung liver diaphragm.... he is dead
Finding him is the hard part

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:28 pm

vwj wrote:MN, looks dry the whole night and day. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. :)

Good. That'll help alot. It's still probably be tough. Take your time. It may only be pinhead size drops at best.

Not trying to scare you. Just trying to prepare you for the worst situation. Hopefully you hit him better than I hit mine. And have more sign to follow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”