Advice needed. Agriculture property with a ravine.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vovamir

Advice needed. Agriculture property with a ravine.

Unread postby vovamir » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:37 am

I've got one hunt left in bow season so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some advice. I am new to all of this and this is only my second season hunting whitetails so I'm still trying to figure out optimal wind directions, thermals, reading sign, etc.

I got permission for this property well into the season so I couldn't do any pre-season scouting. I went out on Tuesday with a strong North wind and hunted the North part of the property, but didn't have any luck. Out of curiosity I walked the field towards the creek and saw several fresh buck tracks winding through the field. Several of these entered the woods at the blue dot and there was a decent sized fresh rub there. I looked around cautiously and noticed a trail running about 20-30 yards in parallel to the field and another running down into the creek bed from the rub (red dots). At the time I didn't want to set up there because I figured the North wind would blow my scent down and all over the wooded area. I also assumed the rub was probably made at night since its right at the field edge.

The creek is more of a ravine that drops several hundred feet. It's probably 100 yards across. The only trees that can support a stand are within 20 yards of the field edge. The creek is surrounded with brush and stunted oaks.

Friday has a wind blowing from the West. I was considering setting up at the convergence of the two trails trying to catch a buck cruising by from the West along the ravine, from the field, or down from the ravine. Would a South wind have been optimal for this situation? Any other areas I should focus my scouting on in the spring or even take a look at tomorrow if I decide to go to this property?

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Advice needed. Agriculture property with a ravine.

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:52 am

Im curious to here peoples input also. I have a public land that is all AG fields and it drops off just like that basically for all the edges of property
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:09 am

I think that North wind may have been wrong for your set up. Do you have a topo map of the area?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
vovamir

Unread postby vovamir » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:52 am

Stanley wrote:I think that North wind may have been wrong for your set up. Do you have a topo map of the area?

Thanks for the reply Stanley. I figured the North wind was incorrect and I did not hunt the location with the rub on Tuesday. I ended up hunting on the smaller creek on the North most part of the property. I'm assuming a South wind would be optimal at the location with the rub (blowing out into the field?). Which I also find confusing since the buck tracks I saw were coming out of the field into the ravine so a South wind would blow my scent right to them as they enter from the field. Tomorrow is a West wind in this area.

Here is a topo map of the area in question. Looks like the ravine is 75-100ft deep. Any insight would be appreciated.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:35 am

You can hunt in all of the areas pictured? When you say North do you mean North of the fields or North of the south parcel?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
vovamir

Unread postby vovamir » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:42 am

Stanley wrote:You can hunt in all of the areas pictured? When you say North do you mean North of the fields or North of the south parcel?

Yeah. I can hunt the entire area. The landowner owns both parcels.

I uploaded a new map showing where I hunted on Tuesday with a North wind. The rub is where I'm considering hunting tomorrow with a West wind. Hopefully that clears it up.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:40 am

With the rut approaching I like the looks of the spots I marked. I would hunt each spot with my wind blowing into the open fields if possible.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:53 am

I like the north wind for that field edge cause it will put bucks cruising on the edge of the ravine drop off... However, my set up would of been to the far right where the river gets closest to the creek and where some larger trees are further down...
vovamir

Unread postby vovamir » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:08 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply dan & Stanley.

I will likely hunt here tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward to scouting this area in detail after the season so your guidance is much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”