River points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNstalker

River points

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:21 am

So got a draw hunt this weekend on a national refuge. Havent been able to scout for lack of time. I have it mapped out an I'm going in blind but my question is my number one spot I like from google earth is a long thin point. The tip of the point is facing north the wind is projected from the north east. Would think they would want a south wind to face river and the wind to blow the length on the point but would they still lay there with a north wind looking south at the woods? Anyone with experience on this would help give me an idea whether or not to try it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: River points

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:52 am

The river acts as a safe barrier for the deer. Danger seldom if ever comes from the river. So I always set up according to that. I always like my wind blowing into the river. I like the river bends that push up into the timber and I often set up on those. Check out the podcast I did here on the beast I touched on river hunting quite a bit. There is a thread associated with it. I think you could get some tips out of that thread. Check out this link;

viewtopic.php?f=295&t=30822
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks for info. But the podcast kept repeating an starting over maybe bc I was on my phone idk. U got anymore maps u can share I like my setup spot there is only one place with a north east wind I see where wind would hit water but it wouldn't be blowing through major part of timber. This is a 2 day hunt trying to make the best of it. Found out I can bow hunt this place every year with a tag so want to learn it bc there have been some big deer killed here every year. Been some even bigger seen.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Most of the river points I have seen deer bed on, the wind blows down the point and the deer face the water when they are bedded there.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:56 pm

The podcasts tend to do that on Iphones. Hit the small play symbol I thnk is wjat works.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”