Field edge hunting on small parcels

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Field edge hunting on small parcels

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:11 am

When you hunt small parcels after leaf drop is it worth hunting field edges instead of diving in? I personally am not a fan of field edges unless it's cut corn during late season but I'm starting to wonder if staying on the edges of small parcels is better in the long run than sitting in deeper. Any thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

okeweemee

Re: Field edge hunting on small parcels

Unread postby okeweemee » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:35 am

i think the weapon matters in this choice. down here with long firearm seasons. even good bucks are taken by hunting fields.

archery not so much.
E72
500 Club

Re: Field edge hunting on small parcels

Unread postby E72 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:57 am

hunter10 wrote:When you hunt small parcels after leaf drop is it worth hunting field edges instead of diving in? I personally am not a fan of field edges unless it's cut corn during late season but I'm starting to wonder if staying on the edges of small parcels is better in the long run than sitting in deeper. Any thoughts?

I think it depends what lies nearby .... Thick bedding near the field ,Is this a way for bucks to travel or search for does ? How secluded is the field ? Some of the properties we have to hunt are small thick wood lots surrounded by fields . They are tough to dive in without running deer out. From mid Oct through Nov we hunt these properties using a full body buck decoy and sometimes a Montana 2D doe decoy. I don't blind call a lot but when a buck does cruise out looking for does or to scrape , I'll call just to get their attention .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”