Always 30 yards short

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sf22nd

Always 30 yards short

Unread postby Sf22nd » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:56 pm

This is my first year in trying to transition to beast style hunting. I can't say that I am hunting beds every hunt but I have my Lone Wolf stand and hunting a different spot every time. Early season I was hunting along transitions with recent sign and now during the rut, I'm focusing on saddles in hill country. I've been seeing more deer than ever but they all seem to be just too far away. I live in an area with very low deer density but I see bucks almost every time out, a couple of them being really large bucks. I just can't seem to close the distance. Is this normal? Am I the only one?

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Always 30 yards short

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:59 pm

I have also been struggling with this but each time I seem to get closer, I think we will be fine, it just takes experience to pick the right tree.. a large part of it is seeing mature bucks now we just gotta close the distance, stay patient and confident and it will happen!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Couple of thoughts/Suggestions.

1. This was discussed on the Live from the Stand Thread, but this time of year if you see a buck come through early on a trail just out of range, reposition if possible. Often times it may be consistent all day. May have been a hot doe com through. I killed a good one last year making this move.

2. Don't be afraid of calling. A grunt, bleat, or even snort wheeze may be just the ticket to bring them a little further if needed. I've grunted in and killed this year and rattled in an killed, both shots inside of 10 yards.

3. Practice shooting in the off-season. I am not saying push your comfort limit this year, but with modern archery equipment and regular practice, there isn't much reason not to feel comfortable on a whitetail out to 40 yards if they don't know you are there and aren't on alert. The vast majority of my deer come inside of 20 yards, but I am completely comfortable out to 40 from my practice if I need to be. Others can extend this a fair bit, but that is where I cut it off as I rarely practice past 50.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Sorry about that, I read it to be that 30 yards was out of range. Disregard point 3 if it doesn't apply! The first two I stand by :D
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Picking the right tree is something that I've been trying to get better at myself. I try to find pinch points inside of pinch points and try to ask myself how I would travel the area if I was a deer based on the wind... I think It also depends on the terain...in the more open areas i hunt I see a lot of deer out of range because I can see a lot further but in the thicker areas most of the deer I see are less than 30 yards because I really can't see further than that..I'm sure there are deer walking by at 40 yards, I just can't see them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:44 pm

That is very normal. Last season i was within 60 yards of bucks that i would've put a tag on six different times. So close but so far.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Remember all your buck sightings for next year. Write stuff down. Take pictures. If these same bucks make it through till next year. They'll be in the same areas under the same wind/weather conditions. Same time of year almost to the date. They will travel close to the same paths.

Be patient! Seeing mature bucks is half the battle. If an area is hot stay with it. If you feel your burning an area out a bit give it a day or two. Then head back in. Speaking of the pre-rut and rut here.

Keep asking why. Why did he travel there? Was it the wind/thermals, terrain, pressure, does, food, and so on and so forth.

Keep learning from your experiences, others experiences and tactics.
Sf22nd

Unread postby Sf22nd » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:05 am

Thanks for the replies-some good tips in there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”