Is this a good funnel?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Is this a good funnel?

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:07 am

Looking for advice on where to setup tomorrow morning. If I'm understanding the funnel idea, would the spot marked stand be the place to go? There is a SW wind and that would also be on the lee side of the hill, about a third of the way down, another 30-40 feet drop in elevation to the edge. CRP north and northeast, beans are growing to the SE. Where would you sit?

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Re: Is this a good funnel?

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:12 am

It looks textbook, but hard to tell W/o seeing what all ties into that pinch.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:13 am

I would get closer to where the ditches intersect.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:17 am

Hard to tell scale from the pic, but I'd sit closer to the smallest point in the funnel (I'd set up where uts 30-40yds widr max and id favor the noeth or south edge of the woods and enter from crop field) and I'd want a N, NW wind if I sat on the south side with a S side access or a S or SE wind if I sat towards the north side with a north side access route.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:37 am

Can you sit on the edge of one of the fields to avoid crossing any deer trails and prevent burning it out as fast

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
jcamp

Unread postby jcamp » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:58 am

I would think a SW wind gets you busted with scent blowing at the intersection of all of those woodlots and drainage ditches. I'm not an expert by any means but I would be looking at a spot more NE than your current stand point and waiting for a W, WNW, NW wind. I would think other than the tighter funnel those inside corners may be where deer enter the fields as well?
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks guys. I can access from the north and west only, so I think I'll walk that edge and sit where it's a little narrower and the creeks intersect facing SSW. Never been to this particular spot but it's close to home and I can sit a few hours before work.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:35 am

Im not an expert either but I would not walk the edge of the field where cruising or chasing buck could potentially approach your stand from. A smarter buck might avoid the narrow pinch and just cut out across the field. I would walk through the dead middle of the field so that he will not encounter my scent trail until he is out in the middle of the field where you could possibly have a shot.

Check out this thread and look at Stanleys access routes: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17693&hilit=corridor
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:04 am

Good thread, thanks for sharing. I will give that a try, it's an easy walk from north right through the field.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:31 pm

I think I would access from as far south as you can with a west wind, walking to the east(I know wind to back)and drop down in that north south running ditch and follow it right to the funnel, walking on dry land into that funnel is going to burn a bridge no matter how you approach it. Accessing by water at least the first time will give you one clean sit to figure out what you can and cannot get away with.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
okeweemee

Unread postby okeweemee » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:07 am

Was this a good funnel?
How did it go?
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:38 am

Just got to work. I decided to walk the creek from the north (wind mostly south today) all the way down to where it met the ditch then back up to the narrowest point of the woods. At about 6:15 a smaller 6 pointer came from the north, right towards me which wasn't what I expected. He got to about 40 yards, I had no shot and he must've caught my wind and he took off. Nothing else. So close!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”