How do you get your hunting fix

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JDS

How do you get your hunting fix

Unread postby JDS » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:58 am

I just listened to the Q&A mini podcast on Wiredtohunt with Dan. He said on his smallish track he keeps his hunt to once a week at most on it and probably more like once every other week. I am not from Wi, MI, OH so I don't really know your hunting season limits and lengths but from my area we can go from Sep to 2nd weekend of Jan. We have a limit on bucks of 2 for all that time but we can take as many does as we want even 2-3 everyday of season if wanted. So with these limit we try and fill our freezers as well as our desire for horn. I know I have deer fever and can't get enough of the hunt. Basically just love being in the woods. Anyways how do you satiate your desire to hunt but still leave pressure off of the buck beds and bucks in general. I am trying to leave my best buck places alone and only go to field edges and so forth when things aren't right for them so I can have a shot at freezer meat. But with this being my primary piece of private land to hunt that is still adding to the already heavy pressure on the property. I guess I can start thinking of public land but none is close. So back to main question of how do you guys satisfy your hunger to hunt but still maintain proper pressure and so forth? Thanks

Beauford

Re: How do you get your hunting fix

Unread postby Beauford » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:10 am

maintain proper pressure and so forth? Thanks

9 sits this year 9 different tree's - 4 different public land marshes, one private sit. I think I like scouting and figuring things out more than hunting :lol: my desire is real high for scouting... Only way to maintain proper pressure is find more area's to sit. Also until you do find more spots, hunt less - hunt smarter. If only limited spots it's hard not to be out hunting all the time, but you can burn these spots real quick. With the less hunting only go hunt on best wind - best moon - best parts of the season. The best part of scouting public you can pick up on some things that could help you out on the private land. Try and find more hunting area's and then you can hunt a lot more. Good Luck
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:16 am

Beauford wrote:maintain proper pressure and so forth? Thanks

9 sits this year 9 different tree's - 4 different public land marshes, one private sit. I think I like scouting and figuring things out more than hunting :lol: my desire is real high for scouting... Only way to maintain proper pressure is find more area's to sit. Also until you do find more spots, hunt less - hunt smarter. If only limited spots it's hard not to be out hunting all the time, but you can burn these spots real quick. With the less hunting only go hunt on best wind - best moon - best parts of the season. The best part of scouting public you can pick up on some things that could help you out on the private land. Try and find more hunting area's and then you can hunt a lot more. Good Luck

X2. I like scouting more than hunting. When I cant hunt, I buy stuff for hunting. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:28 am

My fix now comes from targeting A deer - not just a buck with a certain score (although there is nothing wrong with that and I still do this when hunting out of state). But for me - it is discovering a mature buck, learning everything I can about him, looking for a weakness I can exploit and then going after that particular buck. Since I have access to many areas, I usually have 5 or 6 bucks I am after in any given year. And I have probably 15-20 sets for each one of them - so I seldom hunt a stand more then twice a season - but, if a stand gets hot, I have and will sit it for three days in a row. To me, I love every part of it. Scouting, studying maps, clearing shooting lanes/setting up trees, modifying my equipment, shooting my bow, off season training, and tons of hours out in the filed learning everything I can. Heck I even enjoy identifying trees and shrubs. Its a total package for me and the kill is secondary to the pursuit. There have been a couple times (I shared one on a post earlier this year) where I had the shot and didn't take it - because to me, the journey was complete and the best outcome was to allow both of us to win. Yep, I like laying big bucks down in the dirt, and I always feel good when I can wrap my hands around some hard earned bone- but the older I get I like the one-on-one challenge of an older and mature buck - that's what gives me the best fix year in and year out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”