Combating the Orange Army

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Combating the Orange Army

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:39 am

Just curious as to how many of you guys bowhunt through gun season? This weekend is the MN rifle opener, and I for one will be sticking it out with the stick and string! Anybody else?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Combating the Orange Army

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:51 am

What's the law here? Do you have to buy a gun tag to hunt with a bow during gun season or can you keep hunting with your bow license? If I can still hunt with my bow license I might stick around for an extra day.

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:57 am

Illegal in the vast majority of Illinois to bowhunt during the first gun season.

Personally, I love gun season. I grew up driving from Chicago to northern Michigan and hunting the first 3 days of rifle season. There were few things that I looked forward to more than that. Now, I still look to shoot a good buck but I think of gun season as more of a tradition and think about the history of the opening morning of gun season and how much anticipation goes into it every year by thousands of hunters. I love bow hunting but will never lose interest in gun season, it means too much to me to ever give it up.
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:06 am

yep bigb said it - cant do it in Illinois - so not for me
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 am

I'll be bow hunting through it. Heading out into the marsh where some scrub tamarack is.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:25 am

Taking the rifle this weekend, all kinds of tradition and a fired up 7 year old. When the kids tag along any legal deer is going down.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:26 am

Why would you want to choose a bow over a rifle? Just curious.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:30 am

I won't beat them. This year I have a gun tag and a new slug gun. We shall see....

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Why would you want to choose a bow over a rifle? Just curious.

That's always my thought when I hear of people out there with a bow during gun season. But I have considered it if I filled my gun tag, but didn't fill my archery tag. Always am such an optimist but have yet to have that problem.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:27 am

Set up in the thick and nasty downwind of areas you know get pounded. Get in a couple hours before legal light and let the deer get pushed to you throughout the day. I shot a doe last year on some of the most heavily pressured public I know of doing exactly that.

Most of the areas I'm hunting like this are so thick you're not getting more than a 10-15 yard shot with any weapon. So why not bring the bow?

I lost the thrill in gun hunting years ago. I don't think I'll ever lose the rush I get just seeing any deer in the woods with a bow in my hands.

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:29 pm

One tag here no matter what the weapon. Why pay more for more for just another means to kill one?

I don't have anything against gun hunting but since I moved to MN I just want to et it done on public land with a bow. No real reason other than if I can do it where I hunt with a bow, then I can transfer that easily to else where.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:56 pm

I just like bowhunting more! I'm trying to learn how to get it done consistently with a bow, and I cant do that if I shoot one with a gun! Haha In all seriousness I can only shoot one deer anyways and I'd like it to be with a bow.

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:44 pm

I just re-read the MN hunting regs booklet. Archery is open from 9/19-12/31. I am here hunting my in-law's ground and wouldn't mind extending my stay one more day if I don't get lucky on the meantime. I might have to buy myself a blaze orange vest- all I have is a hat. Like others have said about MN- you can only shoot one buck anyhow and I don't feel like paying another $165 to hunt for one more day.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”