Warm rut temps thought

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Warm rut temps thought

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:32 am

What's your thoughts on these warm rut temps?

I have seen in the past where these rut temps being warm will naturally spike thenocturnal breeding ratio.

However looking back through notes, when I have seen the sluggish daylight rut activity, seems like the second cycle 28 days later has a stronger than typical rut phase.

Any of you seen the same, or does that sound correct?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Warm rut temps thought

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:46 am

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=32879

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:57 am

Personally, I would never let temp be a sole factor on deciding if and where I am going to hunt. No one, no model, no moon guide, or rut predictor can get inside a buck's mind...... and during the rut no one can PREDICT what they will or won't do. If a big buck gets the notion that he is in the mood - well a little sunshine isn't going to stop him.

It's going to be a warm week - adapt tactics that will use this to your advantage. If the deer have shed to winter coats, which most have; and if its warm, and it is; and if the cruising and chasing stage is about to fire up, and it is; then perhaps you might want to find an isolated water hope/seep near doe bedding? I have killed several nice Nov bucks that stopped to get a drink while cruising/chasing and just as many filling up on water before retiring to their bed for the day or getting up earlier in the afternoon to get a drink. If its really hot, I have found that bucks will move midday to get back in shade - so sometimes thinking about what section of the woods will be shaded will help. North facing slopes are always more shady. Or perhaps the east edge of a heavy evergreen thicket.....

I always try to remember this - it is not going to happen if I let circumstances dictate whether or not I hunt. Control what you can, adapt to the rest - make it happen.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:04 am

I agree, but at the same time I think deer are well dressed in thier thick winter coats at the 70's isn't idea temps for bucks to be cruising seeking chasing

At the same time I agree it is breeding season and anything can happen at anytime.

Looking back through my notes I see a second phase rut with better activity than normal during a warm early Nov

During the month of Nov I hunt any and everyday I can. So warm, wet, dry, sickness....if I can hunt I do.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:13 am

backstraps wrote:I agree, but at the same time I think deer are well dressed in thier thick winter coats at the 70's isn't idea temps for bucks to be cruising seeking chasing

At the same time I agree it is breeding season and anything can happen at anytime.

Looking back through my notes I see a second phase rut with better activity than normal during a warm early Nov

During the month of Nov I hunt any and everyday I can. So warm, wet, dry, sickness....if I can hunt I do.

every study I have ever seen on fetal deer exams - few things seems to impact the peak of the rut year in and year out. I think sometimes what we observed might give us perception that the peak has moved, but the studies indicate that the actual rut stays pretty much the same. So yes, a big buck might decide its too hot to move - but he might just as easily decided I'm hot and need a drink :) BTW, not sure where you are hunting, but most states cruising is just coming into full swing - they younger bucks are starting to pester does but from what I have been hearing the bigger boys have just started cruising.
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:26 am

when this warm I have seen bucks on the move very early morning - then just kind of slows throughtout the warmer parts of the day ... I will sit out all day but not when this warm out - I moved some vacation days that I was going to take this week to next week - all day sits for me then
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Hunt in the shade.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Canis Latrans

Unread postby Canis Latrans » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Stanley wrote:Hunt in the shade.

Our arrows, will blot out the sun!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:10 pm

Movement has been better than I expected. My favorite part about this heat is the reduced pressure. A lot of empty public land parking lots; something I thought I'd never see the first week in November in WI. I think a lot of guys moved there vacation to next week. I hope I can close the deal before it cools down. Its shaping up to wicked crowded on public land if this is true.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:16 pm

No day action here. Only movement has been at dawn and dusk.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:44 am

backstraps wrote:What's your thoughts on these warm rut temps?

However looking back through notes, when I have seen the sluggish daylight rut activity, seems like the second cycle 28 days later has a stronger than typical rut phase.

I think the need to breed trumps the temps. The temps may alter it a bit but they're still going to be doing their thing.

I don't know about the temps making a stronger 2nd cycle, could be. I do know I like the 2nd cycle. Big boys seem more visible the second time around.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”