Doing the right thing by backing out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Doing the right thing by backing out?

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:53 am

This morning I went into this area and saw a doe and a fawn. With it being warm I was expecting it to be kind of slow. I tore down my set and went over to the creek to look for a new access route across it. When I found my access I decided to go up the creek about 100 yards and peak into the strip of woods. When I crested the the top I glassed the area and spotted a large cluster of rubs. I then slowly crept near it and noticed 3 scrapes. I glassed down the area and noticed another cluster of rubs. I backed out and went back down the creek until I was about even with that area. Two fresh scrapes there as well. When I was in my tree I could see a scrape in that direction as well. I have a cam located at 2 scrapes when you first enter the area. I went around and checked. The target buck was on it using the scrape last night at 11:30. This area is just getting hot but seeing that I saw a doe still with her fawn today, 2 does on saturday coming into that area without anything on their tale and one buck come out right at last light, this tells me that the time still isn't right in the area. Am I right? Using the intel from the cam and what I've seen I should stay out for another couple days. Not to mention that it's high 60s and in the mid 40's at night. Would you maybe just hunt it in the evening the next chance you had or wait until the next front?
yellow are the deer trails
red are the scrapes, scrape nearest tracks is where the cam is
grey line with purple is the access to the tree (I do not think I will set up there again, poor preseason tactics on my part, no lanes)
grey with x in new route and will be a ground setup
:think: :think: :think:

stash59

Re: Doing the right thing by backing out?

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:45 am

Couple weeks back. The guest on The Wired To Hunt podcast said in his opinion. In warm weather mornings are best. In his experience bucks still move well during the rut phases when the temp is below 55 degrees.

I'm no bed hunting expert but if you don't have an actual bed to hunt I'd try it in the mornings if your not going to hunt it all day. It is still November. In general the deer are still more active because of the increase in rut related activity. You never know what might happen. Stay at it. The bucks making the sign are still more predictable now prior to actual breeding. Once that starts they could go anywhere.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:54 am

If he is on cam go for it. Hunt him morning and night if you can just play the wind and he will show. Warm weather or not it's still the start of the rut. They may not run all day but they will for sure run eavning and especially morning if it's hot. You will see some dandies fall in the next week warm or not. Good luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:12 am

Bumping this back. So I've been hunting s doe bedding area just to the east of the primary area. I have seen numerous young bucks cruising and scent checking this area. The older guys still are not showing up. Checked the cam in there again this morning and they are both on it regularly from 1am - 4am. The 4am pic was today while I was just arriving lol. So they are still checking scrapes, and seem to be on a pattern as well.
They can be miles away any day now, should I continue hunting the doe beds? Or would it be worth a shot to get close to an area suspected for one of them to be bedded on?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”