Estrous scents

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Estrous scents

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:43 am

Can or do estrous scents work as a general buck attractant during the chase phase if u have a lot of does around? If so, does the brand matter? It seems like they would but I've never used them. Or can they alarm bucks somehow?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
stash59

Re: Estrous scents

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:05 am

First it's not an exact science. But what is when it comes to whitetails. I've had my best experiences while using gland based lures not straight urine. Plus I always wore hip boots even in dry land areas. Most of my positive experiences with mature bucks were in areas with low hunting pressure.

After reading Dan's opinions on how bucks smell humans even after we've left. Read some of the papers he mentioned he based his beliefs on. Duping an honest to goodness pressured mature buck would be almost impossible. But if your after 3 YO's or younger it should work pretty well in most areas.

As discussed about scents both good and bad in other threads. Certain conditions are better for scents of all kinds to be smelled. Usually the more humid the better.

A bucks mindset comes into play. Meaning how aggressive is he feeling. Is he feeling safe at the moment. Are their actual live does around and in heat. How the scent is dispersed can also affect things. My best luck came when combining the gland type lures with a 100 yard long string to disperse the scent.

Here's a link to one of the better gland based lure makers. They also carry the scent string I used:

http://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/scents-s/1817.htm
Zona
500 Club

Re: Estrous scents

Unread postby Zona » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:52 am

mheichelbech wrote:Can or do estrous scents work as a general buck attractant during the chase phase if u have a lot of does around? If so, does the brand matter? It seems like they would but I've never used them. Or can they alarm bucks somehow?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yes, maybe and no could be applied to all your questions. I've had scents bring in a buck before I was even in my stand. I have had doe turn and run as soon as they hit the scent stream taking the buck with them. I've shot a couple of 2.5 year old as they were checking out the scent wick. I have never had a scent bring in a mature buck. IMO, a buck that has survived a few seasons already knows what does live in his area. The use of scents introduces something strange into his world. I would rather have the buck think everything is normal therefore I do not use scents anymore. I guess the best scenario for using scents would be during the rut and catching the nose of a cruiser who is out of his home range. In my area bucks don't have to travel far for a doe.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”