The mystery of the rut continued...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

The mystery of the rut continued...

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:56 pm

I know most of you won't find this useful, but I thought I'd share. I have seen where a lot of hunters have the rut pinned down to a period around the first of November. It seems to be very heavy and action packed for a week or two and then it's over.

This is a rut map for Alabama. It was published by Alabama Outdoor News. Our rut is mediocre at best. Would you rather hunt an action packed couple of weeks or hunt several subpar ruts? Just curious to hear what y'all think.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: The mystery of the rut continued...

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:20 am

Wow...quite the differences there. Id prefer to hunt a few really good weeks myself.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:52 am

You should see Florida's rut map :lol:

I literally have seen chasing from July - March.

I personally love it. I follow the rut all over the state and I get to go out of state for rut as well. Our rut is not as intense but it is cool to know that basically anytime you are in the woods you may have a big boy on their feet, following a doe, seeking, chasing or susceptible to calling. Our map is a little better because it gives the actual mean conception date, I tell you it is on the money. I plan most of my hunts for the closest weekends to those dates in those areas and I typically see great rut action.

In AL you are just a few hours from some top notch states. I would definitely be hunting out of state for november and still catching all the rut in AL...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:02 am

I thought it would be really cool sometime to follow the rut across the country hitting as many states as possible. If only I had enough vacation to accomplish that. Sounds like a plan to do in retirement hopefully in 8 years.

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:20 pm

PK_ wrote:You should see Florida's rut map :lol:

I literally have seen chasing from July - March.

I personally love it. I follow the rut all over the state and I get to go out of state for rut as well. Our rut is not as intense but it is cool to know that basically anytime you are in the woods you may have a big boy on their feet, following a doe, seeking, chasing or susceptible to calling. Our map is a little better because it gives the actual mean conception date, I tell you it is on the money. I plan most of my hunts for the closest weekends to those dates in those areas and I typically see great rut action.

In AL you are just a few hours from some top notch states. I would definitely be hunting out of state for november and still catching all the rut in AL...

Yeah, I thought you I saw where you hunted a few different states or something PK. I've never really hunted a bunch of different areas for different ruts until last year, but I'm looking into it more for next year. I think I might just hunt public next year instead of joining a club.

I'd really like to head north and catch some of the early season rutting action. I've never gotten dear to approach from a calling/rattling sequence. I've rarely even seen deer actually chasing. It's more of a cruising type scenario mostly. I guess because the bucks don't usually have to fight over does because there's plenty to go around.

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:26 pm

Dewey wrote:I thought it would be really cool sometime to follow the rut across the country hitting as many states as possible. If only I had enough vacation to accomplish that. Sounds like a plan to do in retirement hopefully in 8 years.

I think that definitely sounds like a retirement plan Dewey. We need a hunting beast bus tour and go across several states and people can meet up and hunt together.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Divergent wrote:
Dewey wrote:I thought it would be really cool sometime to follow the rut across the country hitting as many states as possible. If only I had enough vacation to accomplish that. Sounds like a plan to do in retirement hopefully in 8 years.

I think that definitely sounds like a retirement plan Dewey. We need a hunting beast bus tour and go across several states and people can meet up and hunt together.

That would be cool

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:12 am

x3!!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:23 am

Divergent wrote:

Can you imagine a greyhound bus full of hunting beasts topped off with a bunch of stud bucks strapped to the top :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”