Getting my kicked this week

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

maukings

Re: Getting my kicked this week

Unread postby maukings » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:18 am

PK those yellow lines seem quite high up. Wouldn't it be better to be lower near the bottom or at least be able to see it?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:10 am

Deer bed and travel up high during daylight most of the time in hill country. Unless there is a lot of hunting pressure and the bottoms are much thicker than the hillsides. But hunting down near the bottom you are at the mercy of swirling winds most of the time. Do a speed scout on some of the areas I marked and see if there a trails/rubs etc… If you feel all the deer are in the bottoms than only way to kill them is to get down there with them… But I would start up high.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:15 am

Today I had a W wind that has been blowing at 30mph all day. I walked straight west with wind on my face around 9am. I crossed and small creek as I worried about thermals giving me away. I could feel them blowing behind me. I climbed the steep east facing ridge to put myself at the top of a draw. As I lay my stand on the floor I look the north side of the draw and see a pair of antlers. I dropped down on my knees to get bow and release ready but saw him stand up and walk in the opposite direction. I put my bow away and set up the lone wolf as planned. 20 minutes later I saw a humongous rack north of me and I begin grunting with no luck. It's almost noon and my grunting caught the attention of a really big doe who bedded 35 yards away in the same bed the original buck used. I froze and for the next 2 hours I observed. I continue to grunt and by 2pm a nice buck showed up on the NW. Waked passed the bedded doe. My heart was pounding as this was my first sight of a nice mature buck. I could not get an accurate measurement on the range finder; too many branches in the way but It seemed to be a 35 yard shot. He was coming straight at me and saw him sticking o"up his nose in the air. I freaked out and released the arrow way to soon hoping it would simply hit him. This was a terrible idea as the arrow missed him and hit a log behind him. He took off. This was the most exciting hunt in my measly 2 years as a hunter. I came down the stand around 3pm and moved my stand closed the top of the hub where the two draws meet. Is there a chance he will come back tomorrow? The wind will be the same. Many lessons learned.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”