Too many stands.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ridgerunner8

Too many stands.

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:19 am

Hey Guys, this one property I hunt is open to other hunters which I don't see much, but one of them places treestands everywhere,there very visable is this good or bad ? I still see deer here ,How would You handle this ?

cbniner

Re: Too many stands.

Unread postby cbniner » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:59 am

I swear some dudes in MI put stands up just to claim a spot whether they hunt the stand ever or not, so many stupid rules and "ethics" you would be immoral to hunt near someone else's stand, anyway I have no real advise just bad opinions

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:00 am

I continue to hunt the better areas. I hunt security cover or topography that will hide deer movement, just downwind and out of sight from the stand. I have shot several good bucks using this tactic and I know others on here have as well.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:50 am

Really it depends on if he hunted them or not whether it had any effect on the deer. The reason I say this is I once leased a 60 acre farm, all woods except 8 or so acres. I had 16 stands hung on that property at one time. Most of them I only hunted once or twice a season, some I never hunted at all. But if for some reason I wanted to hunt a certain spot, I had a stand there. I didn't just randomly hang them, I had reasons for each stand location. In the winter I would move one or two if I thought it needed to move, but for the most part, they were there all year long.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:09 am

Try to figure out his hunting patterns n work around what he is doing. Other stands and hunters do not phase me. I continue with my plans. As PK stated its somewhat easy to use them to your advatage. I have been sucessful at doing what I call "wind drives". Understand how the deer move through the area n capitalize on the other hunters lack of details. Let them hunt and position urself where their wind moves the deer to you. . Even better if u can pattern his times entering an exiting the woods. Does he only hunt weekends? Where does he park? How does he enter?? All valuable info.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:09 am

Andy you know how to use this to your advantage. Guaranteed most of those stands aren't where you know they should be. You have a nack for putting the pieces together so I know you'll figure the mature deer movement on that piece. But that's got to be frustrating.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:31 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Andy you know how to use this to your advantage. Guaranteed most of those stands aren't where you know they should be. You have a nack for putting the pieces together so I know you'll figure the mature deer movement on that piece. But that's got to be frustrating.

You got your ridgerunners mixed up this 8. Andy is 7 and has a capital R to start. It's confusing sometimes WA...now go shoot your 2nd slob for the year.

Back to original question when you see a lot of stands you are better off avoiding them. Because that's exactly what a big buck does to stay alive. Find out where he is hiding and avoiding others. And kill him.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:09 am

kurt wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:Andy you know how to use this to your advantage. Guaranteed most of those stands aren't where you know they should be. You have a nack for putting the pieces together so I know you'll figure the mature deer movement on that piece. But that's got to be frustrating.

You got your ridgerunners mixed up this 8. Andy is 7 and has a capital R to start. It's confusing sometimes WA...now go shoot your 2nd slob for the year.

Back to original question when you see a lot of stands you are better off avoiding them. Because that's exactly what a big buck does to stay alive. Find out where he is hiding and avoiding others. And kill him.

Dang you right Kurt :lol: I totally looked past that good call on that one. :doh: hope to see that boy tonight.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:15 am

Free hunt with the rain Michigan boys get in close

ridgerunner8

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Ha Ha Ha, If I knew somebody was using a name like mine I wouldn't have picked it,sorry, back to too many stands must of the stands look like they were just thrown up, and not hidden at all I think the best thing to do is just scout harder , and hunt in the thickest areas around,the strange part is some of the deer walk down logging roads ,I think the smarter deer won't do that. Thanks Guys.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:14 pm

All the areas I hunt have other hunters. You can only control what you do. Once that sets in, you hunt around the other hunters.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Im dealing with similar right now. Even though you may not want to you may want to communicate with them about where they are hunting. Breaking it up to grids or chunks can at least give you an idea of where theyve been.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 am

aLL THEM STANDS ARE A GOOD THING... They tell you where not to hunt. Concentrate on the over looked spots.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:02 am

A couple things...

Just got back from a week hunting public land in Minnesota. Seemed no matter how far back we went in, treestands were everywhere. The thing is, in Minnesota you can only kill one buck per year, whether that be by bow or gun, so a large portion of those stands we encountered were shotgun hunters stands. We also observed many of the hangon stands way back in those pockets we were hunting had been on the tree for more than a couple of seasons and likely not hunted frequently, some maybe no longer at all. I suppose with treestands only $50 or $60 bucks these days, some guys likely would rather eat that $50/$60 and save the hassle of packing it back out after their hunt then tearing it down and hiking it out (or paddling it out). One of the better spots we happened on was amidst 5 different hang-ons and at least 5 or 6 interesting permanents all within a very small area. Point is, as long as you're staying mobile, when you stumble onto fresh sign and lots of it, multiple existing treestands in the area are either not being hunted or not affecting the activity in that immediate area.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”