Body Language

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Body Language

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:37 am

I was thinking the other day about deer body language. Thought it would be an interesting topic to hear examples you've seen.

For instance, when a deer has been shot.
Tail movement indicates certain things.

Deer posturing. Buck responses to calls or sounds.
Bucks giving signs they're about to run off before a shot is presented etcetc

I would like to hear some examples if yall wouldn't mind sharing

There are many I've seen but I will start it off by

Tail flitching after the shot: I shot a buck, clean pass thru, double lung. He ran maybe 15 yards and his tail was flitching side to side so fast, reminded me of a surrender flag.

He took 3 more steps and fell over dead.

Interested is hearing some body language examples. Thought they may help some hunters on the site

[ Post made via Android ] Image

loneranger

Re: Body Language

Unread postby loneranger » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:30 am

When a doe picks out some unknown movement,,first rotating head around,,or up and down in movement she detected..If that does not confirm what she sees,,then raising and lowering front legs in a stomp. If you are the object of this behavior,,you have to assume,,the "Jig id Up"...Next action is uaually the deer will skulk away or run,,along with any other deer in the area. Happened to me,,and I figured I was sunk,,but not always. After minutes of her doing this, and me not moving a muscle,,she actually settled back down and began to walk casually away,,,The dumb buck following her grunting, did not take the warning either,,much to his mistake!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:39 am

Backstraps I have seen the tail flicking as well. I do agree it means they're about to go down, or at least that's what I have found.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:55 am

A twich of the tail usually means they will step or walk off.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
VT Outfitter

Unread postby VT Outfitter » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:12 pm

I love the old smart Doe trick of fake eating but eyes glued on you in the tree. She pretends to eat and never takes her eye's off you, but never takes a bite of anything. Funny to watch. Then you get the fast head jerk around to try and catch you moving. Those old Doe's are harder to kill than most mature bucks. Crafty critters them deer are!
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
www.whitetailstrategies.net
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:17 am

Peter Fiduccia video 'Tactics For Talking To Deer' shows quite a bit about body language of whitetails

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:33 am

VT Outfitter wrote:I love the old smart Doe trick of fake eating but eyes glued on you in the tree. She pretends to eat and never takes her eye's off you, but never takes a bite of anything. Funny to watch. Then you get the fast head jerk around to try and catch you moving. Those old Doe's are harder to kill than most mature bucks. Crafty critters them deer are!

That I would love to see, it sounds so funny.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Apex

Unread postby Apex » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:44 am

justdirtyfun wrote:A twich of the tail usually means they will step or walk off.

Yes. The matriarch doe will do this prior to moving along alerting her pack: "come along ; all is good."

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:57 am

This is the main reason I won't shoot antlerless deer anymore. I really just enjoy watching the interaction and body language especially with a doe and her young ones. Pretty cool watching them learn and copy the tail flicks and whatever else mama does. This is the cool stuff many never get to experience because they go into kill mode right away. To each their own but I just enjoy the show. So much can be learned about deer behavior just by watching. You can't learn that stuff from books and magazines.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Your right Dewey, but sometimes I still need meat.

I love the sight of a mature buck posturing. O doing a lip curl. Especially if I've duped him with some good estrous scent.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”