Unseasonably warm rut bed hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NBK438

Unseasonably warm rut bed hunting

Unread postby NBK438 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:24 am

With warm weather being forcasted for the next week or so here in MI, I'm assuming traditional rut tactics like hunting funnels expecting cruising is going to take a big hit. However, for the hunters who stick mostly to bed hunting throughout the rut, have you guys noticed as much as a hit in the past or does the rut being here seem to compensate for the warm weather and have them on their feet earlier close to their beds just as a cold front would in mid-October? I've heard the warm weather really dampens the cruising because of their heavy coats and that the rut is still taking place but mostly at night so I figured bed hunting would still be hot at this time frame! Looking forward to the responses from our big buck veterans!

Chasman

Re: Unseasonably warm rut bed hunting

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:17 pm

Warm temps in my opinion is a good excuse for not seeing anything. I seen my largest buck ever on Nov. 2 cruising at 3pm and it was warm 65. I know many of you have seen the mouth open buck chasing a hot doe when it's hot hot. There is some reduced movement but I think hunters might be more inclined not to walk 2 miles or go out as much convincing themselves it's too warm. I don't like warm weather but I hunt pretty much the same. Maybe mornings I won't skip just because it is cooler.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:35 pm

There will repressed movement. I think the bucks will still cruise and chase-they will just chase slower :) i saw my biggest Michigan buck on November 12 and it was close
To 70 degrees. Mornings will be best.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:26 am

On pressured land most of the rut takes place inside the bedding areas (or at night) anyway so I stick to my guns and hunt bedding when most here are switching to rut tactics anyway. Not that the deer don't move but I just have much better odds hunting bedding. Warmer weather might slow movement a bit but I have seen many examples of big bucks being shot in the middle of the day when it's 70 out, if they want to move they are going to move. I would maybe stick to the plans that works in your area or jump around a little, try some cruising areas during morning and mid-day then move to bedding at night.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:18 am

We have bucks chase does in 80 degrees which is not uncommon down here. The evening I shot my first buck this year the high that day was close to 90 degrees. If it is unseasonably hot I would look for isolated water holes near doe bedding - those can be dynamite set ups during cruising and chasing phases IMHO
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:24 am

DaveT1963 wrote:We have bucks chase does in 80 degrees which is not uncommon down here. The evening I shot my first buck this year the high that day was close to 90 degrees. If it is unseasonably hot I would look for isolated water holes near doe bedding - those can be dynamite set ups during cruising and chasing phases IMHO

Are you seeing the seem amount of remote water usage this year, given the extremely wet year?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:39 am

cbigbear wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:We have bucks chase does in 80 degrees which is not uncommon down here. The evening I shot my first buck this year the high that day was close to 90 degrees. If it is unseasonably hot I would look for isolated water holes near doe bedding - those can be dynamite set ups during cruising and chasing phases IMHO

Are you seeing the seem amount of remote water usage this year, given the extremely wet year?

Water holes during high temps and chasing is always a good tactic - the challenge when there is water everywhere is locating the ones they use - kind of like when there are acorns falling everywhere. If I am scouting and I find fresh big tracks using an isolated water hole and its hot - I set up

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”