Necessaties and how to haul them in/out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fauxfly

Necessaties and how to haul them in/out

Unread postby fauxfly » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:34 am

I'm using an Alpha and sticks - 2nd year hunting this way and love it!!

Couple question for you guys though - what are ya doing with the bow once sitting in the stand?? I use a Hawk screw in arm with a little hook on the end and it works pretty good - just wondering if there is something better or different.

Other thing is how do you guys haul all the gear out to the stand - I don't carry a pack anymore- but I have to bring my release, little pill bottle of milkweed, a pull up cord, a head lamp for the walk out, a camo gaitor instead of face paint, and a camo watch cap. Sounds like a pretty good pile of sporting goods - ?? How are you guys doing it??

ANybody fasten a little pouch on the hang on or something like that??

Thanks guys!!

PK_
500 Club

Re: Necessaties and how to haul them in/out

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:11 am

I use the bow holder in The platform. Some guys don't like it but it is one less thing to carry. Prime time I am standing with bow in hand. Have one of those bow holders that arraches to belt and holds bottom cam...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:41 am

Iron Talon Bow holder. I used it for vertical bow and now use it for crossbow. Easy on, easy off. No need to screw into a tree. I also have their gun holder.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:49 am

In the pockets of my HSS vest
[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv3h1y5xWWw[/bbvideo]
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:55 am

Always held me bow so no suggestions there.

I have went from a backpack, to fanny pack, to fly fishing vest, & now currently a dump pouch attached to my rc harness. Once in the stand it's easily un-strapped & strap to the seat on my assault.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:39 am

I have an rubber O ring on top of my bowquiver and so I usually just cut a limb I can hang it on. Doesn't take much for longbow/recurve..... if no limb I use a small strap I modified with one hook and two loops.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:15 am

I am running a fly fishing vest and a dump pouch. This has been for short hunts and early season. Now I have to adjust a little with all day sits or late season hunts.
My thoughts are to strap a fanny pack to the stand.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:21 am

When on stand, I try to keep my bow in my hand at all times. However if I need to take a leak or put on a jacket, I use a bohning bow hitch attached to my stand. It is nice and streamlined on the stand and holds the bow secure. My second option is that I also have a small plastic clip on my chest pack shown below. It holds my bow at chest height and my hands are free to move about to look through rangefinder or whatever.

I actually have two bags which seems like a lot but I think it is pretty well thought out really.

Bag 1 is the military dump pouch. It is the perfect size, cheap, lightweight, quiet and is a great way to keep all your "stuff" in one place. I ran a bungee cord though the main loop on it and I bungee it over top of my climbing sticks. It contains my pull up rope, a small hand pruner, bottle of water, my favorite hunting gloves, and a plastic bag which has a half roll of TP a half roll of athletic tape, two zipties, three AAA batteries (headlamp) and two AA batteries (gps).

This year I also started using my "man purse" which I have worn on every hunt so far this year. I really like it and i forget that I even have it on most of the time . At full usage, it contains my camcorder, gps, rangefinder, compass and milkweed can. The chest pack allows me to have these key items within my reach with very minimal movement on my part.

Extra clothes I just bungee those to the stand.

So two packs seems like a boat load of stuff compared to most but for me, it is important to have those "key" items located right on my chest so that I can access at a moments notice. I also feel that I am prepared for the most common SNAFU's that happen while hunting.

PS for some reason my photobucket is maxed out and you have to click on the photo to view it.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:09 am

What about flashlight & headlamp? Everything Dan said makes so much sense but.......... So old habits I think are hard to break & I will work on this next year, not sure about this year. This time of the year with what I take into the hunt, my LW can get kinda heavy. I know I need to cut back, I act (pack) like I am going to shoot a deer every time so that is what I take with me. I have never used a sled or cart like Dan did with his video, I did had a small roll up sled years ago. Anyways with a deer I take my stand & bow walk 40/50 yards set down, then go back and drag the deer to that spot. This might take a lot longer but then I can have breaks in between if tired. This year I will be borrowing a cart from my Dad for some of the hunts, so maybe I can give it a try and report back. I think my real issue is over packing with clothes this time of year extra gloves etc.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:32 am

This year I've been wearing a vest over my harness. It has 6 pockets. I carry milkweed, harness strap for the tree, bow rope, headlamp, compass, release, license and grunt call. Truck keys and phone in my pants pockets.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:23 am

Beauford wrote:What about flashlight & headlamp? Everything Dan said makes so much sense but.......... So old habits I think are hard to break & I will work on this next year, not sure about this year. This time of the year with what I take into the hunt, my LW can get kinda heavy. I know I need to cut back, I act (pack) like I am going to shoot a deer every time so that is what I take with me. I have never used a sled or cart like Dan did with his video, I did had a small roll up sled years ago. Anyways with a deer I take my stand & bow walk 40/50 yards set down, then go back and drag the deer to that spot. This might take a lot longer but then I can have breaks in between if tired. This year I will be borrowing a cart from my Dad for some of the hunts, so maybe I can give it a try and report back. I think my real issue is over packing with clothes this time of year extra gloves etc.

I take either a small flashlight, or a tiny headlamp, forgot to mention that in the video... Once you use a sled or cart you will never want to drag again. Its so much easier. And you will ruin a cape by dragging if you shoot a big one you want mounted.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:31 am

I use a small headlamp that clips on the bill of my hat and has a red light mode for climbing and getting situated. I use a nebo redline for blood trailing at night, small and crazy powerful for it's size.

I also recently bought a cree headlamp for riding bike in the dark, it is crazy bright like 1600 lumens. I realized I needed something more powerful when I nearly rode into a lake because I couldn't see the trail turned ahead of me with my small headlamp.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Brus

Unread postby Brus » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:48 pm

Dan,

I am trying to pack lighter and lighter however when Im packing in my Lonewolf and sticks in the colder months I often sweat a lot therefore I dress in layers . I then add the layers I need to keep warm in the stand once I get there. How do you pack yours? For me its typically a new pair of socks, a wool vest, and heavy weight pants. Or should I just pack a HBS and be done with the extra bulk ?
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:54 pm

my bow is never hanging - its in my hands in the ready position - as far as the little items - it fits nicely in all of my pockets - don't like to bring any additional back packs or bags because of the scent issue ... good luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”