Warm temps, would you rather?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Warm temps, would you rather?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:57 am

With warm temps predicted for MI next week, would you rather have Nov 3-5 off with warm Temps or push back and have Nov 11-13 off? I will be off 6-10 regardless of weather. Let's hear your choice and why.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zap

Re: Warm temps, would you rather?

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:06 am

I may be wrong..... :whistle:
But I would think the older bucks do not have to go 'look around' much for a doe in heat at the beginning of the rut.

Therefore if I want to shoot a buck that is usually never seen in daylight I would hunt later during lockdown (when they are looking for the next doe) or during the few days just after lockdown.

Not sure how this would work as I am not a big rut hunter.

As far as warmer then normal temps I would think they slow down movement.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:48 am

Not sure about Michigan but my annual hunt to Ohio is always second week of November (9-13) and I have never been disappointed. From my personal experience, sunlight dictates when the rut happens and the moon can influence intensity of daylight activity - provided other things like weather, pressure, etc. doesn't trump the moon influenced movement.. I think this year Nov 8-13 will be the peak of buck movement for this years rut. I love it when the new moon appears a few days before the peak of the rut and I think this year is going to be great hunting during that week. I will be sitting all day everyday during this week and only moving if action slows down in my preferred spot. Now if a cold front will also come through a day before the new moon - well then it may just be magic. All just my personal experience. The first week should be good as well. If I remember right Barry Wensel told me at his bootcamp that if they could pick one day as his best day year in and year out if was either Nov 12 or 13th? I'd have to go back and look at my notes. But I know they are out in their stands as much as time permits first two weeks of Nov.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:45 am

I just switched my vacation. I had 3-5 off, but just switched and will instead take a few days in that 11-13 range. I just do not like hunting when it is that warm, my notes and previous experience with warmer than normal temps shows that movement is tough those days.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:48 am

I'm a bigger fan of the early time period for MI, WI, MN. Later time period for IA, IL, OH, etc.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:14 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm a bigger fan of the early time period for MI, WI, MN. Later time period for IA, IL, OH, etc.

Same here. Focus more on mornings on the warm days. The bucks will still move except for the warmest part of the day. Being near water can be huge.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:30 am

Im going to split the weeks here in MI. Ive seen more action the first week, more quality the second week but far less bucks in numbers. Either week can be good as Ive seen some of the second week cruisers during the first week too. I thinnk cold is better, but I think there should be good chances both weeks.

This year Im taking the days with best wind directions for my stands, and splitting during both weeks.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:32 am

Dewey wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm a bigger fan of the early time period for MI, WI, MN. Later time period for IA, IL, OH, etc.

Same here. Focus more on mornings on the warm days. The bucks will still move except for the warmest part of the day. Being near water can be huge.

Good point Dewey, I think on colder days action can start at 2 or 3pm, on warmer days it seems to start just before dark, or at least after 5pm. Mornings seem good here either way for both weeks.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:47 am

johndeere506 wrote:Good point Dewey, I think on colder days action can start at 2 or 3pm, on warmer days it seems to start just before dark, or at least after 5pm. Mornings seem good here either way for both weeks.

bingo.
lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:04 am

I'm going to southern Ohio the 1-7 and I can't switch my vacation. I'm hoping things are better than I'm expecting.

This weather has really put a damper on my excitement.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:19 am

lungpuncher1 wrote:I'm going to southern Ohio the 1-7 and I can't switch my vacation. I'm hoping things are better than I'm expecting.

My two biggest bucks came during the rut on days with south winds and approaching 60 degrees. (up here that's really warm for early November) Killed one early morning and one just before dark. It's not a deal breaker for sure and all you gotta due is put the time in on stand. Good luck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks guys, 4 or 5 of my rut spots are along a river and or on creek crossings near that river, so plenty of water for thirsty bucks.

I couldn't decide on the dates, so I took tomorrow through the 16th off, hahaha. Here we go!!!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 am

Sounds like you have all bases covered now. :dance:

Good luck.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:36 am

Dewey wrote:
lungpuncher1 wrote:I'm going to southern Ohio the 1-7 and I can't switch my vacation. I'm hoping things are better than I'm expecting.

My two biggest bucks came during the rut on days with south winds and approaching 60 degrees. (up here that's really warm for early November) It's not a deal breaker for sure and all you gotta due is put the time in on stand. Good luck.

Same here. Saw 2 of my largest bucks on rare 70 degree days in early November. One at 11:30am, the other at 1:30pm. IMO, they get use to the temperature after a few days of above normal conditions.
lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:55 am

Dewey wrote:

My two biggest bucks came during the rut on days with south winds and approaching 60 degrees. (up here that's really warm for early November) Killed one early morning and one just before dark. It's not a deal breaker for sure and all you gotta due is put the time in on stand. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm without a doubt going to put the time in and hunt hard! Goodluck to you also

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”