Warm temps, would you rather?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Warm temps, would you rather?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:10 am

lungpuncher1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
lungpuncher1 wrote:I'm going to southern Ohio the 1-7 and I can't switch my vacation. I'm hoping things are better than I'm expecting.

This weather has really put a damper on my excitement.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My two biggest bucks came during the rut on days with south winds and approaching 60 degrees. (up here that's really warm for early November) Killed one early morning and one just before dark. It's not a deal breaker for sure and all you gotta due is put the time in on stand. Good luck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm without a doubt going to put the time in and hunt hard! Goodluck to you also

In 2009 I was hunting in Iowa, had a day that got into the 70's mid day, didn't sit mid day due to the heat. After the evening hunt I stopped at a gas station and chatted up a guy with a 150 inch buck in his truck. He killed him working a scrape at 1 pm, while I wasn't hunting because it was too hot for bucks to move :doh:

Moral of the story, if it's November be in a tree whenever possible.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:15 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
lungpuncher1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
lungpuncher1 wrote:I'm going to southern Ohio the 1-7 and I can't switch my vacation. I'm hoping things are better than I'm expecting.

This weather has really put a damper on my excitement.

My two biggest bucks came during the rut on days with south winds and approaching 60 degrees. (up here that's really warm for early November) Killed one early morning and one just before dark. It's not a deal breaker for sure and all you gotta due is put the time in on stand. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm without a doubt going to put the time in and hunt hard! Goodluck to you also

In 2009 I was hunting in Iowa, had a day that got into the 70's mid day, didn't sit mid day due to the heat. After the evening hunt I stopped at a gas station and chatted up a guy with a 150 inch buck in his truck. He killed him working a scrape at 1 pm, while I wasn't hunting because it was too hot for bucks to move :doh:

Moral of the story, if it's November be in a tree whenever possible.

I hear stories like that every year when conditions are less than ideal. The rut goes on regardless and you just need to adapt to it. Hot get near water........windy get in the thick stuff.....etc.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:16 am

Yep...I learned a lesson :lol:

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:45 am

A lot of things can effect deer movement - but when it comes to the rut it is going to happen. While moon times, wind, weather, pressure are all factors you can't kill them if you aren't hunting. I would never let temperature discourage me from hunting during the rut. You can actually use it to your advantage is some cases.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”