Catch & Release

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mario
ProStaff

Catch & Release

Unread postby Mario » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:45 pm

I had a friend of mine, who is an avid fisherman, make the statement today. Wouldn't it be great if you could somehow catch release deer?

I thought it might be an interesting topic :D or at least invoke some conversation.

What if we were issued catch & release tags and we hunted with tranquilizers.

Now obviously a lot of us are meat hunters, myself included, but would it be fun to go after the same buck year after year?

Do you think a buck would get wise and change his patterns or do you think you could go in and kill him again and again?

Would there be limits or could you catch & release as many as you want?

Would it change the way you hunt?

Justin85

Re: Catch & Release

Unread postby Justin85 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:03 pm

The thought crossed my mind in college when I had a semester of animal immobilization class.

They do it in Africa.

It's hard on an animal though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Take a picture with ur smart phone...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Knew a couple of guys that had access to a tranquilizer when they were younger, used to dark bucks they wanted to pass during bow season and cut off the antlers as the area was buck only and then we're legally unhuntable. They said the hardest thing was tracking them as it took time for them to succumb and obviously no blood trail. Not sure how many the did but it was a crazy idea.

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:24 pm

If i tag out and this year it will be done with my new camera and lens. The bow always wins though.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:29 pm

I think if you just went out and filmed deer instead of killed them it would be the same thing. With that said, i just wouldn't be as interested in that type of activity compared to actual hunting to kill. Wouldn't stir that deep down primal cave man instinct the same way. Another first thought is that it would be disrespectful to the animal in a way. I think it would make the animal less special to me if 3 other guys had already carved their initials in the antlers. If I shoot a buck, i feel as though it is special because every other predator and hunter has failed to capture this wild animal until I succeeded. Re-reading my own words it sounds selfish but those are my initial thoughts.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:34 pm

hunter_mike wrote:I think if you just went out and filmed deer instead of killed them it would be the same thing. With that said, i just wouldn't be as interested in that type of activity compared to actual hunting to kill. Wouldn't stir that deep down primal cave man instinct the same way. Another first thought is that it would be disrespectful to the animal in a way. I think it would make the animal less special to me if 3 other guys had already carved their initials in the antlers. If I shoot a buck, i feel as though it is special because every other predator and hunter has failed to capture this wild animal until I succeeded. Re-reading my own words it sounds selfish but those are my initial thoughts.

I agree with you Mike, like shed hunting it's special to be the first human to put your hands on the prize.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Wouldn't letting a buck go by, be catch and release?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:47 pm

"Did you catch anything this weekend?"

HATE when people say that when talking about hunting...
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:26 pm

I like shooting and hunting big bucks as much as the next guy, but hunting at it's roots is about meat. The catch and release notion cheapens that to me. Again, you can already do this with a camera if you want. My opinion anyways.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Since 2010, I have been hunting with video camera and before that, I usually had a camera in the stand. I have been able to capture many mature bucks on film and video that I have not been able to shoot because the buck never closed the distance to my shooting lane. It is fun to go back and watch the old films or look at the pictures... but mostly, I think about what could have been, but I am (was) grateful to be able to see big buck. So I guess filming is a form of catch and release. I use the film as a scouting tool... yearly I can count on these location to be hot around the same time.
go DEEP or go HOME
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Stanley wrote:Wouldn't letting a buck go by, be catch and release?

Yea that's what I thought. I've thought many times when I let a buck go by it was catch & release. I guess the only difference would be if you let a buck walk by that you wanted to shoot. That would be truly catch & release.

We have a 1 buck limit here. I have thought about continuing to hunt after I killed a buck just to see how some setups in certain areas panned out. That would be about the same too I think.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:25 am

I takes pictures and videos of all the deer I "catch" and "release" that I don't shoot. :D
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:51 am

That's why I carry a camera. Click, you would be dead. I really have no interest in sticking a wild animal with a dart just to put my paws all over it.

I don't get catch and release fishing either, a lot of stress on the critter for nothing, just the way I am :lol:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:22 am

When he's tranquillized, you could measure his rack, take pictures then have a replica mount made like fisherman do with big fish after they release.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”