Lifetime number of deer hunts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: Lifetime number of deer hunts?

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:31 am

Overall, I would say 180ish days total over a decade while I was growing up. Took about a decade break
Then, Beast style... Only 3 full days of hunting, 1.5 days of scouting (got back into hunting about two months before season this year, didn't find the beast till 3 weeks before). I will say, trying to change styles so drastically, I will be spending MUCH more time in early spring and mid summer than I expect to spend during the hunting season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:36 am

Before I had my own wheels I could only go when dad took me. The last 15 years or so, 30-40 hunts per year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:44 am

I don't keep much for records. But I would guess on average 50 + hunts per year for 52 years equates to about 2600 hunts. Now that has been put into perspective, I really haven't accomplished much. :think: I don't hunt as much as I did when I was younger that is for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:59 am

dan wrote:I hunt a lot less now, than when I was younger... Kinda like U.P.Bowqhunters answer, less hunting now, but more precision... I would say that now I go out about 40 to 60 hunts a year, but bit used to be a lot more than that. Deer hunting is a big part of my life. Probably headed into the woods more than 2600 times in pursuit of deer in my life so far. But there is much more time spent in the woods scouting, observing, and watching.

Even though increasing the number of actual hunts helps. The real key is in what Dan stated here. Way way more time scouting, observing, watching and learning while putting Boots on the ground. A new hunter could never read a book or watch a video. But if he spent time out in the field observing and learning. It wouldn't take all that long to catch onto what's going on.

As for me in my late teen and early 20's I rarely missed a day of early archery season and gun season. So probably a minimum of 50 days a year. As I got older more responsibilities reduced that down but at least 30 days hunting a year. But much more scouting off season.

At 30 I moved to Montana mainly to hunt elk. I probably hunted at least 20 days for elk. More if my job left me in my home area so I could get out evenings. Plus at least 10 days deer hunting with most days hunting whitetails only a few after mule deer.

With plenty of summer scouting.

I remember reading someone quoting Fred Bear. He stated success is directly related to time spent afield.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:10 am

Just "hunting" (Weapon in hand) its about 1,300 sits over about 40 years but there are lots of sits where I carried nothing but a camera or spent the day walking outside of an open season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”