Mid morning cruisers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lynchpin

Re: Mid morning cruisers

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:57 pm

I have had great success November 1-2 of seeing mature buck movement mid morning. I don't sit all day... But will push it to 1230 ... But usually a gut feeling on how long to sit pre rut.
Location central eastern Iowa... Tri-states

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

go DEEP or go HOME
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:39 pm

Bucky wrote:Drury's 13 explains dates and transitions better than I can.... Mark does it for a living and probably runs as many cams. Our group has close to 40

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I guess I'm just a want-to-be groupy Bucky ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:56 am

If I had to set one day that I would start to anticipate the majority of mature bucks to start cruising more during daylight I would pick Halloween. Year in and year out Oct 31 seems to be one of my best hunting days and the turning point to where I start to see more big bucks showing up during daylight hours.

My yearly plan is to hunt buck bedding entry and exit trails all through October. The, some time close to Halloween I will sit funnels and scrape lines that skirt doe bedding areas until around Nov 10th. During the actual peak of the rut (most of the places I hunt this is typically 2nd-3rd week of Nov) I start hunting those areas where does like to move to in order to be bred. From what I can tell this is what actually happens during "lockdown" it is the doe that seeks out an isolated place and you can bet the big boys that have been around the block a couple times knows where these places are. A buck can and will cruise anytime after his horns harden and he feels like it. He is not bound by Moon phase charts, studies, rut predictors, etc.... He goes by instinct and I believe laziness. He knows and can sense when the does "come in" and will move accordingly. This is not set in stone but I would say the majority. There are some does that actually begin their cycle in SEPTEMBER and still some down south that are not bred until February. However, stats will show that the vast majority will come in and be bred somewhere around Nov 15 for most of the areas we hunt (extreme south is different and the rut is more drawn out - but where there are four seasons the deer are biologically coded to bred to produce fawns at the most advantageous time in the spring). Figure this peak date out (most state biologist have done studies and can tell you this date), carve this date in stone, as despite what some authorities say, this seldom if ever really changes outside some really major environmental impacts like fire, severe drought, harsh winter, etc....

Far too many hunters ruin great rut hunting stands by hunting them too early and too often, or not realizing what they found. You want to kill a mature buck then think like he does - wait until the conditions are just right, the does are just about to come in and then set up accordingly. My biggest mistake when I was younger was to think the rut had kicked off when I started seeing 2 younger bucks (3 1/2 and younger) start chasing does. This is not the true rut but just some teenagers getting antsy and wanting to get in the game. from what I can tell once you see the younger bucks going nuts, then things should start heating up in about a week to ten days.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:10 am

DaveT1963 wrote:If I had to set one day that I would start to anticipate the majority of mature bucks to start cruising more during daylight I would pick Halloween. Year in and year out Oct 31 seems to be one of my best hunting days and the turning point to where I start to see more big bucks showing up during daylight hours.

My yearly plan is to hunt buck bedding entry and exit trails all through October. The, some time close to Halloween I will sit funnels and scrape lines that skirt doe bedding areas until around Nov 10th. During the actual peak of the rut (most of the places I hunt this is typically 2nd-3rd week of Nov) I start hunting those areas where does like to move to in order to be bred. From what I can tell this is what actually happens during "lockdown" it is the doe that seeks out an isolated place and you can bet the big boys that have been around the block a couple times knows where these places are. A buck can and will cruise anytime after his horns harden and he feels like it. He is not bound by Moon phase charts, studies, rut predictors, etc.... He goes by instinct and I believe laziness. He knows and can sense when the does "come in" and will move accordingly. This is not set in stone but I would say the majority. There are some does that actually begin their cycle in SEPTEMBER and still some down south that are not bred until February. However, stats will show that the vast majority will come in and be bred somewhere around Nov 15 for most of the areas we hunt (extreme south is different and the rut is more drawn out - but where there are four seasons the deer are biologically coded to bred to produce fawns at the most advantageous time in the spring). Figure this peak date out (most state biologist have done studies and can tell you this date), carve this date in stone, as despite what some authorities say, this seldom if ever really changes outside some really major environmental impacts like fire, severe drought, harsh winter, etc....

Far too many hunters ruin great rut hunting stands by hunting them too early and too often, or not realizing what they found. You want to kill a mature buck then think like he does - wait until the conditions are just right, the does are just about to come in and then set up accordingly. My biggest mistake when I was younger was to think the rut had kicked off when I started seeing 2 younger bucks (3 1/2 and younger) start chasing does. This is not the true rut but just some teenagers getting antsy and wanting to get in the game. from what I can tell once you see the younger bucks going nuts, then things should start heating up in about a week to ten days.

Dave.... with those dates that you list, are you talking in Texas , or do you hunt up in the midwest during these rut times? I hunt southern WI, and find about the same dates that you listed. I'm going to start all day sits this coming Saturday ( Halloween) and try to do that until the 12th of Nov... hopefully I have one before the 12th, we shall see....
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:57 am

It's a bit early still from my experience and what I've seen this year. Mature bucks are only showing up on camera on the edge of darkness and they are not putting on distance yet. 2yos are getting stupid and 3yos are there as well. Just like Bucky says, my same experience in Western central WI last weekend.

Friday or Saturday I will pack for an all day sit but I will call an audible based on the morning's action.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:09 am

I decided not to sit it. It's a really good spot close to buck and doe bedding. I will wait.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:If I had to set one day that I would start to anticipate the majority of mature bucks to start cruising more during daylight I would pick Halloween. Year in and year out Oct 31 seems to be one of my best hunting days and the turning point to where I start to see more big bucks showing up during daylight hours.

Dave.... with those dates that you list, are you talking in Texas , or do you hunt up in the midwest during these rut times? I hunt southern WI, and find about the same dates that you listed. I'm going to start all day sits this coming Saturday ( Halloween) and try to do that until the 12th of Nov... hopefully I have one before the 12th, we shall see....

I found that to be the case in Ohio, Montana, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Oklahoma and N Texas..... those are the states I routinely hunt. In the deep south I have heard some biologist say the peak of rut is far later - after Thanksgiving and into December in some places. I think Mexico is that way also? personally I think it just gets more less defined as the fawns don't have to be born in such a narrow window for survival. Of course peak of rut effects when cruising usually occurs. One other thing that I believe effects cruising is the buck to doe ration - more bucks = more competition so they might get antsy a little earlier and more frequently. When the does numbers far exceed buck numbers they don't have to cruise as much if at all. I also believe there are two types of bucks. Just like people. There are home bodies and there are bucks that think the grass is greener over yonder - some bucks just like to cruise while others not so much. All bucks increase activity - but some expand their "home range" more than others from what I have seen.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:04 am

BTW - I have not personally hunted Wisconsin but I think your plan is solid. Now if someone wants to invite me up I'd love to add to the research :)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:19 am

Carol almost hit a big 10 pointer at 10:30 am crossing the road just down the street from my house this morning, and I have been seeing a lot of midday activity... I would say you can start hunting cruisers.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:59 am

I travel 60 miles of interstate one way TO work...then drive a couple hu dred miles a day FOR work...

I use it as my gauge...last Tuesday I don't know what it was..I was going home about 1015 at night and the interstate was literally covered in fresh blood..mostly 1.5yo bucks. It was incredible..

Every day since has been more and more deer...does and big bucks are falling now..and starting to get in the daytime...

I hope my gut is right and the next few days are gunna be hot...will be my last 3 days of the archery season...I would like to get one killed...and with a warm from coming tomorrow followed immediately by a cold front that night Thursday and the moon and time of year I just might get lucky...

Can't decide if I sit my best stand Thursday or not...the front moving out is gunna be a big switch I think...I seen 6 doe last time I sat that spot..(good to catch bucks coming off the bed too which is why I was there early..).

I could hunt it Thursday and Saturday. Or live there for 3 days..its a hard funnel..they HAVE to come through there...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”