Lets just say "FUMBLE!!"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Lets just say "FUMBLE!!"

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:19 am

Had a rough start on Saturday morning, stomach was tore in half but did make it out. I got to my parking spot, got all my gear on and climber packed up. Then another hunter wanted to BS with me for ever. I finally had to say "I need to get to my tree man."

I got all climbed up, bow and book bag hung on my hanger, heavier coat on, and was just about to get my feet out when I heard a deer coming. I had been waiting for the perfect conditions to hunt this spot, and figures it would go down like this. If any of you guys have read my "Hes on to me thread" I have been hunting a buck I call the Benscreek Monster for the last few years. He is a well seasoned and smart old PA Public Land buck.

I hear a deer coming right to me, and was trying to sneakily get my feet out of the stirrups. I was thinking in my head that "This is him!" I got them out but when the deer hit the trail I walked in on at about 2 yds from my tree he locked up, I could see his HUGE BODY right under me.

I got my bow of the hook, but my broad head got stuck on a hemlock branch I use for back cover. I was turned around and could see him moving back towards the thicket and see his nice rack at about 10 yards.

I turned back to get the broad head out of the trees and turned around again to see him at about 40 yards going back to the thicket. I decided not to try and grunt at him or anything, as he didn't know exactly where I was. I figured that if I blow it he is going to stay out of there, THis way he just caught some human scent and backed off.

I am unable to type the words that went through my head, but had I been there 1 minute sooner I would have been turned around with my bow in hand.

So the story gets better as I had to climb down at 10 to go to a fall festival with my wife and kids. When I hit the ground I walked the old grown in tram road that is in front of my stand. There were 3 scrapes within 35 yards of the stand. I looked for tracks in them buck could not clearly make any out, all were dry.

I went to the festival with the family, and was back in my stand by 3:30, hoping that the big buck would come back and freshen up his scrapes. I peered at the one, and wouldn't you know it, the scrape was refreshed already with some nice wet buck pee in it.

AARRRGHHH

He was back in there while I was at the festival. Now I guess it could have been any buck, but my gut tells me that the back was going to freshen those scrapes when he was first under me in the morning.

So to make matters worse, the rut could very well pick up this week, and he may not be coming back to those scrapes as much. We were supposed to get family pictures yestederay, but the photographer cancled and of all days, can only take them this Saturday on Halloween. They are at 10. I will be in that stand by 5:30 Saturday morning, hoping to get a repeat of last week. I know its a ways out but I will have another southerly wind. LOL I will only be able to hunt for about an hour and a half, but know that after this upcoming weekend that buck could be anywhere in the country by then.

I have a half day scheduled on the 3rd, and a full day scheduled on the 6th, but really hope I can get him on Saturday Morning. Might be his last predictable day I can hunt him.

Sometimes it just works out like that I guess. Chalk up 1 point to my internal pride that my plan of attack worked awesome, but take it away because I blew it.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Jackson Marsh

Re: Lets just say "FUMBLE!!"

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:36 am

Sooooo close, that is a bummer, but like you said your plan was solid.

Good luck! I hope you get another chance.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:00 am

LOL yep just figures. you wait for that right wind, right temps, right circumstances, have been chomping at a chance at the buck all season, finally see you chance to make the move, and "FUMBLE" lol.

Anymore though with the amount of pressure, poaching, baiting, and god only knows what else the public land I hunt, just putting together a plan that works is a lot. LOL getting chances at big bucks on the area I hunt is tough. Was reassuring that I saw the scrape freshened up, and hope it was him. I didn't see anything in the evening, and it poured on my way home, so I don't think that I left much scent behind. He will have a solid week to cool off, so hoping if the wind is right I can be in there again. :)
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:07 am

Bummer for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:27 am

Ouch, hard lesson learned but plenty of time to get a tag on him. Was in the same boat last year, getting setup and needed another minute to get into the tree, almost got a shot off on the ground but it wasn't to be. He was a stud and the only nice public buck I saw last year.

Some years those public opportunities come often, a lot of years they don't, just have to make the most of them and keep on trying when things don't go your way.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:31 am

nice, yeah that was a close one. I hope you get a chance to send an arrow shaft his way on your return trip.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:02 am

the challenges of hunting ..... good luck this Saturday

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”