leeward side?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PUBLICbowhunter

leeward side?

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Sorry for the dumb question but with the rut coming up, I know I'd like to hunt the leeward side of the hill about a 1/4 of the way down while taking in variables like thermals and wind. But what if the property you hunt only has west and east facing ridges? Should I hunt a different property with north and south facing ridges? Or should I just stick to funnels pinches and edges of transition. With the predominant wind being north or sometimes south....
Thanks guys hoping to clear this one up

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: leeward side?

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:08 pm

I haven't done a ton of hill hunting, but I would just keep an eye out for winds that would put the ridges you have as leeward, could make those rare days really hot for cruising coming up here. Also, if you're in WI, I'd pay close attention to the wind every day, I just checked the 10-day for LaCrosse and it is easterly in direction today and tomorrow then switching back to westerly. I would be a bit surprised if the prevailing wind in your area wasn't some direction of westerly for most of the fall.

It doesn't have to be straight east or west either, and in fact some angle and be helpful if your are targeting particular bedding points or other structure on the hills. You'll just have to drop some milkweed and figure the thermals out on your property after you go in. May take a few tries.
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:30 pm

Yeah I'm hunting in Lacrosse, I'm going to try and take advantage of this wind. Gonna take a late evening stand after work today. Thanks for the help.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:47 am

Can you hunt near or on the points of those ridges? For example, on a North wind, you would hunt the south facing point. This should be a bedding area. Reverse is true for a south wind...hunt the north facing point...
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”