Tips and Tricks for the Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Skyler

Tips and Tricks for the Rut

Unread postby Skyler » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:00 pm

I have been bowhunting for a few years now and this is the first real year that I will be able to hunt the rut. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions when it comes to grunting, bleats, rattling, doe estrus/pee, wicks, drag rags or anything like that. Do you guys use any of that, or is a lot of it pointless to bring to the woods. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks!

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Tips and Tricks for the Rut

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:08 pm

Lots of variables here...weather and cover being two biggest.

Weather-I love to rattle on windy days. I try to wait for a slow down in the breeze and rattle loud, but only if I do not see deer in front of me. If a buck walks thru out of range as soon as he cant see me I will try to get him interested with a rattle or grunt sequence.

Cover-Ive used a decoy with success in open areas but lugging them around stink. In thick cover I call every 15-30 minutes with a bleat or grunt or rattle depending on what Im seeing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:59 pm

I personally have never had much luck with scents. I only take a grunt call. I usually only call if I see a buck that is moving away from me.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:32 am

Wlog wrote:I personally have never had much luck with scents. I only take a grunt call. I usually only call if I see a buck that is moving away from me.

x2. With the exception that I have had luck on a few occasions by rattling next to cornfields at first light.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:04 am

When I first started to rattle I would watch as many buck fighting videos. (Not how to rattle videos)as I could and only a hand full if them where ok. (Sound wise)
I only rattle in a big woods setting. Really far in is almost always better.
Cold calm early mornings are the best. I start to rattle before I can barley see my sights. Make a lot of sound after all your trying to crate an illusion that their is two buck fighting for a hot doe. In my option tree stands are better for them not to scent you, but I have far less results. Walking in a rattling with no stand you can make it sound more realistic, but you get winded way more. I have now gotten them 2d Montana's buck and doe set. I want to see if bucks will come right in with out trying to circle down wind an scent check. I my self use a can call grunt call and the pack rack. And doe in heat scent and buck scent is a waste of your money. Expect about a one in 15 chance of getting to see one and even less to get a shoot off. ( most the land I hunt may only ever have one person in their the whole deer season, very low pressure ) but when you do get them in, in my opinion it is the best type of hunting method to get your blood boiling.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”