Very Interesting Hunt Tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ttsbuck
500 Club

Very Interesting Hunt Tonight

Unread postby ttsbuck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:16 pm

I shot a doe tonight and this is what happened after. She went about 40 yds and layed down. After about 20 minutes another doe comes over to her and she gets up and starts walking but very shaky. The second then snorts at her gets spooked and runs off but does stop and stare back at her. The wounded doe walked to a spot where I could not see her. I stayed in my tree , about 30 minutes later I see a buck coming from where the doe originally came from. Sure enough he crosses her trail and starts following it right to where I shot her. He sniffs the ground where the blood covered arrow is laying and continues to follow her trail. He was a small 8 so I gave him a pass. Turns out she only went another 30 yards and expired. The buck must have followed the trail to the does death bed and never got spooked. Turns out the shot hit back a bit and caught the liver. A fun night and very interesting.

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Very Interesting Hunt Tonight

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 pm

I have a very similar story. Its About a doe I shot on October 24th. I had a doe come right in to my treestand at 10 yards and she kept looking back over her shoulder so I waited for the buck I was assuming. He came in but he was a 6 point yearling. So I shot the doe. She ran off and I hit her in the liver. The buck ran with her.
20 Mins later a doe came from the direction the doe I shot ran from. But now this doe was 40 yards away. The buck was right on her tail too. Then I noticed the buck jumped on top of her to breed her and she let out a last doe bleat and fell right over dead! The little buck thought nothing of it making a scrape 20 yards from her and working on a buck rub already made by a larger buck. I grunted him in and noticed he had blood on his left antler! I thought he might have stabbed her in the throat. So I checked out the doe and found out it was the one I shot! I think he was taking advantage of her being in such pain. I just find it funny that the buck had absolutely no effect that the deer died right in front of him.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:07 pm

I shot a doe in heat once and a buck came by and kept poking her with his antlers trying to get her up and stayed next to her the whole time till I got down and chased him off.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:36 am

one time on opening day of gun season i shot a nice 8 at about 11am...i gutted him out and half hid him in some brush...at about 2pm a doe fawn found him and stood over him for more than an hour
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”