How do you approach a bedded buck without getting winded?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1toughmudder
Facebook: mfuss@bemis.com

How do you approach a bedded buck without getting winded?

Unread postby 1toughmudder » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:25 pm

My question is concerning bucks bedded in swamps. From what I'm reading, the deer aren't that far off the hardwoods. I've read on numerous posts, that buck like to approach their bed with the wind at their backs to detect if they are being tracked. Now lets say a buck walks out of a finger of woods into the swamp with the wind at his back. Then crosses over to some willow brush, turns around and beds so he can see his back trail. It would seem to me that he is unhuntable. Assuming he is going to get back up that evening and approach the finger of woods he walked out of that morning and has watched all day, and has the wind now in his face, how in the world would you set up without getting busted.

I have a second question: If the buck does as I stated above in the morning, but the wind direction changes throughout the day, is he still likely to get up and walk into the finger he has watched all day or would he change his exit route so he can walk into the wind as he leaves his bed?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How do you approach a bedded buck without getting winded

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:37 pm

You find the vulnerable area and you strike... They don't leave there beds always into the wind, they head towards food. You get a wind that works and set up just out of sight and sound, and keep your scent from hitting him... Have you watched any of the Extreme whitetail tactics shows? Here is a real good one where I set up on a bedded 10 pointer. I show the wind direction and exactly how I set up:
[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD396slTRO4[/bbvideo]
1toughmudder
Facebook: mfuss@bemis.com

Unread postby 1toughmudder » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks, Dan. I had already watched that video. I had a couple of questions though. When you showed the map where your stand was, where the dear was, the deer trails and the wind direction, it looked like the deer would wind you when it left. I'm guessing you figured the deer would have an arrow in him by the time he cut your wind. The other question is, with that wind direction the deer couldn't have had the wind to his back when he went in there to bed down in the morning unless the wind changed direction during the day, or he came in from a different direction. Not trying to bust your chops, I'm just trying to get a good feel for what the deer are thinking and the likelyhood of them bedding in a given spot. Thanks.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Yea, I was set up to kill him when he left... If he was not a shooter he would of probably winded me. I noticed he was facing the wrong way for the wind too... Could be an air current there pulling scent from behind, maybe? maybe not. Might be cause that was a sound based bed where he can't see approaching danger anyway? My guess is he could indeed smell behind him and was getting an air current coming from behind... If you start using milkweed you will start to see the wind do all kinds of crazy stuff.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”