SLOB ENCOUNTERS

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

SLOB ENCOUNTERS

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:28 pm

I had my chance of a buck I pictured here a while back. Had him bedded with a doe for 2hrs 80 yds away. Wind was not right for calling. Slipped out and set up closer with better wind. Had him run by going after doe with a 6pt in toe, but I could not stop him in shooting lane. I did have a back of the neck shot at 30yds pin was locked. Did not/should not take that shot. Many things in hindsight I could have done different. I feel dejected, in my experience I get one opportunity a year at a good one and they just have not fallen. Crazy things intertwine and opportunities lost. What is a realistic number of encounters of shooter bucks on ok private and public land. I did get some good video footage..

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: SLOB ENCOUNTERS

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Depends on the actual property your on Chasman... Get back on him though. That Doe will keep him in the area for a couple days...
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Sounds a lot like an encounter I had last year. I had a slob trotting by through the brush at 25 yards with me 5 feet off the ground on my assault after I moved in on him bedded 40 yards away, but I couldnt get him to stop. I replay that moment in my mind constantly wondering what I could of done different. I give you props for not taking a questionable shot.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:48 pm

had a similar experience on the 5th of Nov. You made the right call, just keep after him, like Dan said that doe will keep him in there a little while. Stay confident and best of luck
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:57 pm

You still got a chance....get on him/his doe as soon as you can before he moves on to find another one. Good Luck....I know the feeling too having a shot but not being the right one on a dandy at close range. My shot was the buck looking right at me. I didnt feel comfortable taking that shot either. Too much could have gone wrong. I admire you holding back on him.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Keep at it!! That hot doe may bring in a bigger buck, you just never know this time of the year. Good luck and keep your head up ;)
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:48 pm

I agree, you still got a chance. Slipping down and resetting on him and actually having him come by? That don't happen often, chalk that up as a great encounter. He's in that area, he will likely stick around for a day or two.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:31 pm

My encounter was from the Nov 3. I hunted that buck for the next 5 days and never seen him again. My Dad seen him once in the morning trotting through a field. I have a plan to go after him Mon-Wed before gun. I am hoping most the does get bred and he may start looking again. The morning I encountered him was one of the moon mornings to hunt.. Thanks for the advice. Good luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”