second opinion

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sunset samurai

second opinion

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:07 am

Next week Im traveling to the hills of NC and have my sights set on the high side of that cut in the middle of the pic. With cruising elevation being around 2600 and the middle of that saddle being the property line I feel this should be a prime cruising spot for an all day hunt on a North variation wind. Its in a huge area of big woods and I dont think anyone often gets near it. Thoughts?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

sunset samurai

Re: second opinion

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:09 am

Also that small point to the West appears to be legitimate potential bedding IMO.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:46 am

looks like a decent spot.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:37 pm

I don't think bucks will be cruising next week. You would be better off to hunt bedding, scout for doe groups and look for funnels with last year sign.

sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:55 pm

Myocal intel (processor I used to work at) everyone droppin off are seeing rut sign. Down here this is normal, we dont have as defined a rut as up North. Iv experienced hard rut activity over the years spread from last two weeks of Oct all the way through November. Ill be goin back in two weeks also.

sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:58 pm

dan wrote:looks like a decent spot.

Does steepness play much of a factor on the bucks side hilling? Or as long as its in that 1/3 from the top do they seem to care about steepness in your observation?

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:17 pm

Did NC get an influence of northern whitetail? I have heard of this in the deep south where northern deer are introduced. The rut is more of a trickle.

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:20 pm

I think I'm going to buy a few. Should be enough for a big area.

As far as the spot it looks good on paper.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Zona wrote:Did NC get an influence of northern whitetail? I have heard of this in the deep south where northern deer are introduced. The rut is more of a trickle.

Supposedly Western NC had deer introduced in the 70s from Wisconsin I think, to boost the population (so the old timers say.) I thunk it is more due to the climate though. Northern deer have to breed in a very strict time frame to ensure the fawns arent born too early or too late and due to the harshness of your winters. Our deer simply have a larger window due to our mild winters. In early bow season Iv seen fawns anywhere from lookin theyve just dropped to yearling size and being weaned.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Zona wrote:I don't think bucks will be cruising next week. You would be better off to hunt bedding, scout for doe groups and look for funnels with last year sign.

Depends on where your at... In the hills of south central Wisconsin I see cruising starting abouit now, in S.E Wisconsins marshes I see it the 1st week of Nov. only an hour from the S.C. area and in N.E. Iowa an hour the other way its not till a week into November.

my point is, every where has a little different timing.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:13 pm

sunset samurai wrote:
dan wrote:looks like a decent spot.

Does steepness play much of a factor on the bucks side hilling? Or as long as its in that 1/3 from the top do they seem to care about steepness in your observation?

Steepness certainly plays a factor... The less steep the more the bucks vary up and down the hill based on the thermal tunnel moving or being wider. A steep hill with a good military crest will put the bucks exactly where you expect them.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:22 pm

sunset samurai wrote:
Zona wrote:Did NC get an influence of northern whitetail? I have heard of this in the deep south where northern deer are introduced. The rut is more of a trickle.

Supposedly Western NC had deer introduced in the 70s from Wisconsin I think, to boost the population (so the old timers say.) I thunk it is more due to the climate though. Northern deer have to breed in a very strict time frame to ensure the fawns arent born too early or too late and due to the harshness of your winters. Our deer simply have a larger window due to our mild winters. In early bow season Iv seen fawns anywhere from lookin theyve just dropped to yearling size and being weaned.

We see that up here too... its universal. Just the other day I got a doe bedded by a scrape waiting for a buck on camera.... A bit early, but explains the increase of activity in that area.

Despite all the guys out there predicting "when" the rut will happen, its actually the same time every year. Its been proven that does go into heat based on the amount of daylight in a day, does this mean every doe goes into heat on the same day? No... but each individual doe is probably within a couple days of the same time every year...

Deer farms that produce "doe in heat" urine actually get there does to go into heat several times a year by putting them indoors and setting the lights on timers to simulate the amount of sunlight that triggers them...

The rut is at the same time every year... What changes is the weather and the moon phase.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:16 am

Good info, thanks Dan.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 am

Only thing is that you state that the property line is there, so I would be concerned if you'll encounter hunting pressure right there, but as long as they're not up there with you in that saddle, I like it.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:21 am

Buckfever wrote:Only thing is that you state that the property line is there, so I would be concerned if you'll encounter hunting pressure right there, but as long as they're not up there with you in that saddle, I like it.

I shouldve been more clear, that line is to a state park so no hunting on that side. I jus hope if it works out that the deer goes downhill n not up n over. I can get permission to retreive just a lil more headache.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”