Newb set up question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jcamp

Newb set up question

Unread postby jcamp » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:50 pm

I could use some advice on how you guys would set up to hunt this spot blind. I have not had a chance to hunt or scout this property previously with the exception of glassing deer from the road that separates the east and west ridges on my attached map. I have seen a large buck (red dot) on two occasions along the east ridge. The direction of travel for the deer is marked with the red arrow toward a large draw coming down from the east ridge. The draw includes a small spring/seep stream into the larger creek bottom. The larger creek separates the west ridge and access road from the bench the buck was on by steep sheer 15' drop into the bottom. There are only a few draws into the main creek bottom to cross to the west ridge. The buck was spotted early evening 5:30 moving along back of the bench against the steeper slope of the point. Wind was WNW and NNW. It rained earlier in the morning as well. My assumption was the buck was bedded on the point to the east or to the north east of the red dot but I have no visual proof of buck beds. That spot would have given him a great view of the flat bench above the creek with scent coming down the valley (only vehicle access point btw is from the north) The ridge top is hardwood and a wide open overgrown field/clearcut. I put orange x's where concentrations of oaks are.

I have tried to give all the info I can about the terrain layout. My thoughts are with a NNW or WNW wind which happens more often than a NNE or E wind I could set up on the south end of the big draw where the seep comes down (south of red dot). I would think this is a likely water source near bedding and also any west wind would swirl there with thermals off the top of the ridge as air cools. I think this would make a buck comfortable. Setting up south but hopefully in shooting range of trail would avoid my scent swirling back to the north and I would have easy access through creek bottom without crossing trails.

Thoughts and advice? Thanks in advance.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Newb set up question

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:40 am

Did you see the buck in the morning or evening? this matters cause he is either coming or going to bed... What was the wind direction when you saw him? this matters cause they bed based on wind in the hills and you can make an accurate guess on where he is bedding based on what the wind was when he was there.
jcamp

Unread postby jcamp » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:01 am

Hi Dan. Buck was spotted in evening about 5:30 pm. With wind out of nnw wnw. Thats what made me think he was bedding on the bench where i saw it or one of the points near the red dot on the map i included. He was headed toward the blue line on map which is a convergence of two draws from the ridge line and it includes a small spring fed stream. The draw with the stream is pretty easy walking to the top of the ridge where there are some oaks

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:06 am

Just past the point of your red arrow I would set up. Keep in mind that at sun down there will be a thermal switch from rising to dropping, so you might want to cover both with your set up. Make sure your out of sight of his bed. And do it on the same wind you have been seeing him on.
jcamp

Unread postby jcamp » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:20 am

Thanks Dan

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”