Crackpot idea or one based in logic?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Crackpot idea or one based in logic?

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:44 am

I am having some serious trouble on the place I hunt. All the spots I have scouted are consistently unable to be hunted. The military base just closes them down day after day. It has been killing me for two weeks. Below is a map of where I am thinking of hunting tomorrow. I am either going to be taking a big gamble or an educated risk...I cannot figure it out.

The colored lines are where I think deer will move based on the wind and funnels. The road is a huge interstate. I figure a buck could sent check all of the low lying hills based on tomorrow's NNW wind, yet remain undetected as his scent will blow out into the interstate. There is also a great funnel where the blue line comes through. The red line comes from a no hunting zone(swamp) and the deer can move under the overpass as it is the only place they can cross for like 5 miles. The green line represents normal scent checking behavior. I put the orange square where I am thinking of setting up.

CRACKPOT or OK?

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Crackpot idea or one based in logic?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:31 am

Well buddy assuming that you already know Where and how deer are funneled in to this swamp for bedding then I think it will be as educated and as good a place to sit as any based on the information. Good luck and let us know how your sit goes good, bad or ugly. It is always a good education either way to have a plan visually depicted and then to hear the results. I personally learn a lot from seeing everyones terrain and hearing about the experience of that hunt in that location.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 am

VS, you'll never know until you try. Your orange spot is worth a shot to cover the funnel if you do not believe other hunters will mess it up on either side of it. I would also suggest consideration of shooting up one of the cuts on the SE side of the hills, right next to the thermal tunnel and in between what appears to be a number of bedding points (same spot if your approach is from the top). Curious to hear how it goes for you. 8-)
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks guys.

Indiana, I scouted this spot two years ago, hard. But they shut the entire area down last season. Goodness. There were tracks loaded underneath the overpass under the highway and all along the creek bottom.

SB. I might cruise through there on my way in to hunt. Most of the hunting in this place occurs on some of the little fields to the north and to the west. One of the reasons I wanted to get all the way down there is to stay a good 600+ yards away from other people, plus I figured what the heck....if a big buck wanted to stay old and big he would bed in that darn swamp and never come out until he was horny...well I guess now is the time to see if my theory holds true.

Hunting has been tough as I have been sick and my wife had knee surgery and has struggled. Yesterday I passed 2, 2.5 year olds yesterday at slam dunk range. I had to take a day off from hunting today because I was sick as crud. Back at it on stand by 11am tomorrow morning. The place I hunt keeps closing all the areas I want to hunt when the winds are perfect. It has been tough but has taught me how to hunt even better bases on topography.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Wouldn't be my 1st choice in spots... I f it were me I would be at the top of one of the cuts like Bridge mentioned. I marked the spot I would head with a red dot.

virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Thank you Dan. I am kind of grasping at straws right now because everywhere I "know" has been closed to hunt. It is frustrating to have spent 30-40 hours in several areas this past off-season to only have those areas closed time and time again. Like I said before, I just have to adapt as usual and try to make something happen. I will try that spot out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”