Hunting Rain AND Wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hunting Rain AND Wind?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:54 am

I keep pretty good records, and I've seen good pre rut bucks in rain, or in wind. What about windy like 12 to 15mph, AND some rain? Is it different for mornings vs evenings?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Hunting Rain AND Wind?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Take the opportunity to push into areas you wouldn't dare push under dry or calm conditions. No different between morning and evening. Aggressive is the word.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Love that weather. Windy more than raining but both during this time works to my advantage. Get in the thickest areas possible. And you can get in there stealthy.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:13 pm

What if the thick area is only about 10 acres of the big bucks core area? Would you still be agressive, knowing that its likely he will show in daylight in the next week or so?

I try to focus on previous years pics, especially for the same bucks. He showed in daylight last year about 5 different times on cam in front of this one stand in late Oct. He's already showed twice so far in a week.

Back to the original question/answers, it sounds like its for sure worth hunting since it a perfect wind for this stand, and the wind/rain shouldnt limit movement too much. I cant find any personal record or memory of rain and wind together, no idea why. Maybe its this cold I just caught, clouding my brain.....
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:40 pm

I believe the biggest difference in being aggressive or low-pressure depends on the property. If you plan on hunting a small area more than once you need to be a little low impact. If you have unlimited areas to hunt aggressive is better suited.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:25 pm

I've always seen a lot of movement in planted pines when it's windy and/or rainy...not as much in other places until it starts tapering off.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Stanley wrote:I believe the biggest difference in being aggressive or low-pressure depends on the property. If you plan on hunting a small area more than once you need to be a little low impact. If you have unlimited areas to hunt aggressive is better suited.

Stanley this is exactly right. I'm always trying to be all ears, but at the same time I also know this smaller property well. If hunted correctly, it produced good bucks every year. I'd hate to blow in there and kibosh the rest of my season.
Public land, this is perfect time to get in there! And close.

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:01 pm

I don't notice a difference in AM or PM, in my personal observations when it comes to wind/rain for pre-rut/rut time of year.

I do know that hunting in rain with bow is to me not ethical due to the fact that not many kill shots are instant BUT, I do love it if you are out in the rain just before it stops for the day. I see so much game deer/bear like to move right after the rain stops, so if you are lucky to time this, I feel you have a good chance at a nice buck then.

Just some of my simple/personal observations.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:45 pm

Me and Mario just had an interesting conversation about this. I am tagged out in the conservancy property we hunt, and he is the only one allowed to hunt there now till the last day of October. He is also rapidly running out of vacation.

I left my cameras up for him to use in key positions to know whats on the property. To access one of the key areas on the property you have to go thru another key area, and the big buck he desires is on the camera in the 1st spot but has not yet showed in daylight. But, we both know he will, as he did last year, and may have this year off camera, but, if he goes past the kill tree in the 1st location, his scent will be detected by the buck... But, its very likely the buck may be using the further location now...

Yesterday was a perfect day for early movement, and a rare needed East wind. With the rain washing away his human scent, it may have been a good gamble to push to that further location for "a free hunt"...

Due to lack of vacation, and rain (wanting to film the kill) he chose to wait. But the moral of the story is still a good example of the decision making process.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:51 am

Yeah good example. I won't run out of vacation, I have 3 weeks left and haven't started, plus I hunt at home mostly. With this considered, I decided aggressive wasn't best for me in this situation.

As for ethics, it was supposed to stop rainin g shortly after daylight. Figured it would stop, but it didnt. It rained hard and I got soaked.

Previous years pics and log book REALLY help to determine the WHEN to hunt part for me.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:07 am

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:37 am

I like to be out in the rain and wind. Big boys cruise
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:15 am

They are calling for highs in the mid 40's tomorrow, breezy east winds and a lot of rain. Anybody going out? ??? I sure see more deer on rainy days during the rut, I bought some rain gear, but the only bad part about rain is it can ruin a blood trail, so I'd probably limit my shots to under 25 yards on rainy days.

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:31 am

This past Saturday I unsuspectedly bumped a good buck bedded not even 30 yds in front of me. Conditions were extremely wet with 15-20 mph winds (30mph gust). If the sky was clear and calm, I know for a fact that encounter wouldn't have happened. Ended up seeing lone doe later on stand.

2 years ago, My neighbor saw a pie bald buck I was after pushing does in 20-30 mph winds. (Suburban pocket). Unfortunately, I thought it was too strong for hunting.

Like others say. If you're beasting it, I highly recommend not skipping these days.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:33 am

john1984 wrote:They are calling for highs in the mid 40's tomorrow, breezy east winds and a lot of rain. Anybody going out? ??? I sure see more deer on rainy days during the rut, I bought some rain gear, but the only bad part about rain is it can ruin a blood trail, so I'd probably limit my shots to under 25 yards on rainy days.

I'm probably heading out for an evening hunt. I have a bedding area, I've been waiting for a east wind for. I'm figuring a free hunt! In an ideal world the rain will end around 4:00-4:30.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”