Encountered Poachers while shining tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Encountered Poachers while shining tonight

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:49 pm

I was on my nightly run of shining and a car who was also shining was coming up the road.
I turned my light off for respect to them as they passed but then I saw them turn around and speed up and quickly were right behind me. Then I hear a loud Boom! And a flash. I was in shock they just shot a bleeping gun!!! I tried to get plates and never did see as they quickly turned around. I'm a nice guy but when it comes to people doing illegal activity like this I have ABSOLUTELY NO RESPECT FOR. I just shined a really good road right before I saw them so they might have been mad and or drunk and decided to pull off this stupid stunt. Honestly guys I was scared.

Zap

Re: Encountered Poachers while shining tonight

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:06 pm

That would scare most anyone.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:11 pm

All you can do is call the CO. I've had my fair share of encounters with drunken and sober hillbillies protecting the hills from the "outsiders". All part of the grind out there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Don't let it bring you down, stay focused on your path, learn from the experience be careful, but keep your thoughts constructive.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:08 pm

^This and carry a gun, always.

maybe two..... :D
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:26 pm

It's known I don't like shining. It's a poachers tool. Another reason not to shine. I'll stop now....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:09 pm

ive had my run in with weird people wile shinning...trying to run me off the road ect....people get jealous. Plan and simple

not all shiners are poachers spy..............
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:30 pm

It is illegal to shine here in FL, but I can see where it could be an awesome tool just gauge what is in the area.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:23 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:All you can do is call the CO. I've had my fair share of encounters with drunken and sober hillbillies protecting the hills from the "outsiders". All part of the grind out there.

I'd call the CO and the sheriff, if I am reading this right they took a shot to scare/intimidate you, very much worth a report to both so they can get a description of the vehicle and know they are working the area.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 pm

So they shot at you? Or at least in your general direction to scare you? That is a much more serious offence than poaching. Please report it to the sheriff or they will have won. Sure you didn't get an ID but who knows, there might be other similar reports they can stitch together to figure out some suspects.

Like Spy I am not a big fan of shining either but if its legal no one has a right to harass & threaten to harm you.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:31 am

Tufrthnails wrote:It is illegal to shine here in FL, but I can see where it could be an awesome tool just gauge what is in the area.

You can shine here. You just can't have a weapon unless it's within 1 hour of legal hunting hours. I don't have any ag in my areas though, so it would be a hopeless endeavor, unless they were chilling in the underbrush 10 ft from the road.

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:36 am

My one night of shining in Michigan had someone following me and then I was pulled over by state police and searched. Its legal here till nov1st. The trooper told me they've been having problems with poachers.

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:55 am

"My one night of shining in Michigan had someone following me and then I was pulled over by state police and searched. Its legal here till nov1st. The trooper told me they've been having problems with poachers."

While it's great the police are looking out for poachers ... What you were doing was totally legal. I'd have asked for a warrant before he searched my vehicle .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:02 am

E72 wrote:"My one night of shining in Michigan had someone following me and then I was pulled over by state police and searched. Its legal here till nov1st. The trooper told me they've been having problems with poachers."

While it's great the police are looking out for poachers ... What you were doing was totally legal. I'd have asked for a warrant before he searched my vehicle .

[ Post made via iPhone ] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/
mobile/iPhone.png[/img]

I had nothing to hide. They can search if they want with probable cause.The spot light was enough evidence for him I guess

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:52 am

I was pulled over once with a buddie, he just asked to shine his light in the vehicle to make sure we didn't have a guns, we agreed and were on our way. Said the same thing as most, there were problems with poachers and we were both fine having them take a peak to make sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”