Tarsal Glands......

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Tarsal Glands......

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:32 pm

Last night my cousin arrowed what i beleive to be a 1 1/2 possibly a 2 1/2 year old buck and i cut the tarsals off ziploced them and put them in the freezer to keep them fresh they are very dark and very strong smelling, should i make a scent drag downwind of doe bedding hoping to alert a mature buck of a lesser stag in his area or what could i do with these?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Tarsal Glands......

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:03 am

I've tried this at least 5 times, I am 0 for 5 in those attempts. I don't think it hurts to try, especially since it is natural scent, but the results are not there for me. I have been think about getting a decoy, and I think pinning them to a decoy could be a positive addition in that setup. Good luck either way!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Re: Tarsal Glands......

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:11 am

I have had very good luck with tarsals. I don't go out of my way to drag them anywhere special, because that is just more chance of laying down more of my own scent. I just carry one in with me and wipe it here and there on some foliage. If I have two I flank them on the crosswind sides of my stand. I feel if a buck cuts my entrance he may follow the trail, or if a buck is cutting downwind he may smell the tarsal scent before mine. I have had both work for me.

I do not feel as though they 'attract' deer from a long ways, but the deer that come through seem to be more relaxed because they think they are smelling where a deer was recently through the spot. During the rut if a buck comes through it is 50-50 whether he will follow the scent and many times I have had them put their nose right on the gland. Even mature heavy pressure bucks have come in. Killed my biggest buck with bow over a tarsal and I would not have had a shot at him if he didn't follow the scent trail to me. He put his nose on every bush I touched with the gland and was walking in all bristled up and I shot him at 20 yards as he was closing in on the gland. This was in fairly open woods, if you are walking through brush I think you are leaving way too much of your own scent trail for it to matter…
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”