Hunting From The Ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Hunting From The Ground

Unread postby csoult » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:12 pm

How many of you guys hunt from the ground and not in a blind? If so, do you find that your encounter rate is higher this way?

csoult
500 Club

Re: Hunting From The Ground

Unread postby csoult » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:16 pm

I'd like to add one more question... When you do, are you stationary or are you on the move like the whitetail adrenaline guys?
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:34 pm

It's a tough game. I hunt on the ground a lot. The biggest thing is to watch your movement and break up your silhouette. I used to use trees as cover, but I am now leaning more to sitting right in the middle of brush or small conifers. Invest in a good set of pruning shears to carve out natural blinds and also a ghillie suit or maybe a 3d suit. I try to stay as low to the ground as possible and often sit on the ground itself.

I am not a big buck slayer though, so take my words as you will.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:11 am

Since I started bow hunting 4-5 yrs ago all I have done is ground hunting. I actually am planning on getting hunting beast style stand and sticks next season. The biggest complaints I have about ground hunting is I have been busted by so many deer due to the slightest movements, that is the biggest challenge. Secondly, u don't have the good view a stand will generally give u. When I do ground hunt I am stationary 90% of the time. Ground hunting has taught me to take advantage of every piece of cover and how important it is to break up the silhouette of the big "blob". I purchased a 3D leaf suit but a gillie wud b even better. I don't think my encounter rates wud b any higher if I didn't ground hunt. Jus my thoughts.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:15 am

its allot harder, but if the place has not trees than a guy has to do what a guy has to do. I love a tree strand nothing beats the view and the ability to get drawn without being seen at close range in the right tree.

Set up where almost nothing can get behind you, so you not moving looking behind u. back cover is far more important that front cover, break you ur outline, deer know what a human shape is.

set you if possible with the deer moving left to right in front of you. Try and find something to set up, scrape, make a mock one, decoy, scent wick something to slow them down and grab their attention for a few seconds to get drawn.

I am not much on gimmicks but worth a try. Drop the weight on ur bow.

Last but not least, bring an extra set of underwear, because a 150" buck at 5 yards on the ground, looks like a 190" and you will need to change your shorts!!!
csoult
500 Club

Unread postby csoult » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:30 am

keb wrote:Last but not least, bring an extra set of underwear, because a 150" buck at 5 yards on the ground, looks like a 190" and you will need to change your shorts!!!

Not typically a problem where I live :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”