What are your pre rut and rut tactics?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

What are your pre rut and rut tactics?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:22 pm

I'd like to hear from some of the consistent mature buck killers on what you use for rut tactics. We don't talk much here about calling, grunts bleats, decoys, rattling or others. I use some deep grunts to pull in bucks in view, not much success blind calling. How much do you call? Rattle? Intensity? Time of day? Stuff like that. I thought it's a fitting topic being that pre rut is just getting started here in SE MI it seems.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Re: What are your pre rut and rut tactics?

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:48 pm

To be honest it's pretty tuff to call a mature buck in. Seems like 3 year olds are about the oldest. Not saying it's impossible but it's hard. Post rut I've found is best when they are still looking for that last doe.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Love to rattle in the big woods. But over the years it has become more of an issue of getting them to commit.That last 150-200yards. So to solve that I have added the Montana 2d buck and doe for a visual add. Will be curious to see if that help solve this problem. Also it pays to make as much noise as you can.

whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:01 pm

I've called in a few small or younger bucks during the pre-rut and rut but I've also had enough calling experiences with some big bucks to prove to me that the big bucks generally aren't going for it. At least where I hunt, I'd say the areas have moderate pressure overall, the bigger bucks still tend to shy away from calling. In fact, I've seen them run the other way more times than not where a young buck will come right in.

When it comes to the rut I'll put my money on hunting the right spots and avoid the calling for the most part. I'm looking to be set up downwind of known doe bedding areas primarily but also on travel routes between doe bedding.
cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:29 pm

If you aren't hunting mid day in MI for the rut then stay home

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:06 am

When calling I make sure there is plenty of cover and an obstruction to the buck's travel on my downwind side. If there is not a lot of cover, and he can easily see and get downwind then I don't like to call. You have to catch them in the right mood, and it's important to read their body language. I've had a lot of luck calling to deer that are heading the wrong way, but I also live in Iowa. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”