Big hill country typicals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arkansan1

Big hill country typicals

Unread postby Arkansan1 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 am

There is something awesome to me about a big beautiful hill country deer bedding at the top of points eluding danger for years. I would like you all to post pictures of your favorites! Thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dkoy85

Re: Big hill country typicals

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:34 am

My favorite buck I've chased for a few years and had one opportunity at, and missed :oops: I enjoyed every encounter, and the experience I gained from chasing him. This is a picture of him, the year I missed him (his left g4 is mixed in with his right g3 so it is not as long as it appears). Saw him a few times that year before I got a shot, and never saw him again other than pictures the following year where he developed splits on his g2's.

Caught him checking downwind of doe bedding. Unfortunately for me I was downwind of the bedding and he was 10 yards further downwind and bolted 30 yards above me where I rushed the shot and missed. Everything that could have went wrong, went wrong. That one encounter and miss taught me more about my setup, trying to stop a mature buck after he is aware of your presence, and rushing a shot more than any other encounter I've had. He was an old, smart hill country buck.

Arkansan1

Unread postby Arkansan1 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:49 am

Awesome. Beautiful

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:50 am

October 27th, I had my one chance. He came thru at 730 am with four other bucks. They were still in their bachelor groups. One of the bucks busted me when I raised my bow and that's all she wrote. I never saw the buck again last season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”