Morning hunt advice, what date and time, access, etc.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Morning hunt advice, what date and time, access, etc.

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:54 am

Ive normally gone to a stand about 1/2 before daylight. Sometimes I bump deer sometimes I dont. My best 2-3 stands are good pre-rut and rut cruising areas, but also cover a route to feeding. Im getting morning pictures near these stands between 4am and first light of a couple target 3.5 and 4.5 year olds, and some just after light starts. How do you plan access in the morning to this type of stand? I REALLY hate bumping deer, especially now as it could be the bucks I bump.

My best (most conservative) plan is to wait until some cruising starts, and go in at first light. However, that requires waiting another week or two, and makes my window of opportunity much smaller. This is private land, I cant hunt right on the bed which is 100 yards away. Do you risk it and go in a few mornings? Or do you wait until buck cruising is later in the morning?

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Morning hunt advice, what date and time, access, etc.

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:25 am

As far as getting in, I'd rather be an hour early than a minute late.

I think whether or not you try a morning hunt now is situationally dependent. How far is the bed from the likely primary food source? How much has the area been pressured by other hunters, you, scouting, etc.? I'm no serial big buck killer, but I think there is a limited window in late October that is just opening where a mature buck will still have a regular routine, but may be coming back slightly later than say two weeks ago. When wind, temps, etc are right, I'd really consider going for it on a morning hunt when the conditions are right anytime in the next 0-14 days

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:42 am

I was settled into my climber Yesturday morning an hour before first light and not 20 mins later had a buck walk to the bedding area. If I had gotten in the tree any later I would of bumped him. I like being in early

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:16 am

If your hunting bedding be settled in an hour to an hour and a half before first light. On the farm ground I hunt I don't go out till its just getting light. Don't want to run the deer out of the fields. So.it depends on where your accessing your stands. If your walking thru a food source wait till daylight. IMO.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:26 pm

I would check the dates on your cameras and see if it was near a full moon or if there was a storm the afternoon/night before. Sometimes these influence movement just enough. In my experience I've had some luck around a full moon, but not at any other time. They seem to move back to bed shortly after daylight for several days in a row. At other times I've arrived at my morning stands two hours before light and I still got busted on several occasions going in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”