Found a deer stand, ribbons on property i hunt..tresspasser

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

robert richer

Found a deer stand, ribbons on property i hunt..tresspasser

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:14 am

Last night I found 5 ribbons leading to a hunting stand on private property that I 'am the only one with permission to hunt. I see via my trail camera there has been 3 to 4 days where this individual has entered into the property, typically 30 to 40 minutes prior to dark. During these days no ribbons where up, just recently were added. I have not had the opportunity to communicate this to the land owner he is out of town and will be getting back to me today or tomorrow, although I did speak to his wife. She stated no one else has permission or allowed.....this is a trespasser.

Here are my issues;

From what I understand I can not remove the stand unless I have permission from the land owner only...makes sense. What do I do with the stand?

Do I leave a note stating where he can find his stand which would be at local authorities or leave a phone number to contact? Too nice...?

Once instructed by the land owner to remove the stand how do I communicate to the person (trespasser) this is unacceptable and no longer be tolerated?

Do I call the local authority to inform of issue or do I have the landowner do this?

If i should have contact with this person do I confront the trespasser with patience's or what demeanor do I take?

During this period of time waiting for the responses from land owner and hunting my stand do I put a letter or note on the tree where the stand is stating to remove the stand immediately?

Thoughts?

RJR-007
Redman232

Re: Found a deer stand, ribbons on property i hunt..tresspas

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:24 am

I once moved a climber to an afternoon setup after s morning hunt, we left to eat lunch, we came back and there was a note stating I was on private ground that was leased. I looked at my map closer and they were right I was about 20 yards to far off the field(property line was not marked). It was an honest mistake and I appreciated whoever left the note being cordial. It was my fault for being sloppy and not checking the map scale close enough. One property I hunt now gets people walking one it and hunting the perimeters(usually gun season). The land owner is a pacifist and won't raise a stink about it. I am always cordial but I do try to make them uncomfortable which is usually enough. But confront everyone or word will get out and there will be people walking all over you and the land owner.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:29 am

Is the property properly posted? If the guy is leaving ribbons he may not know(IDK the posting laws in WI) or it could be a new hunter who is somewhat ignorant…

IDK… tough deal.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:30 am

I would let him know cordially first. If that doesn't work call the law. I had a sheriff tell me if he gets a call for a tresspassing issue, he's not coming out to be a referee he's coming out to write tickets

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:59 am

It's a tough decision. I had to tell the neighbour kid last year to stay out of the farm I have sole access too. Since its s small town and everyone knows each other, the kid didn't think much of me asking him to stay out. I had to actually take his climber off the tree, pack it up and walk it over to his prosperty and lean it up against their box blind. Haven't seen him since

robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:20 am

Good responses;

Should I create a "nice" note tonight to inform this person he is on private property and must remove stand immediately.

Do this before owner of property suggests to remove stand and do this before I call the authorities?
RJR-007
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:28 am

Yeah that sounds fair. Try the cordial note

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:58 am

I would be nice the 1st time but let it be known you are the on;y one with permission. also out of curiosity are they close to a property line or are they obviously no mistake trespassing????? that might change my demeanor a bit . by the way good luck Robert I haven't seen you on here in quite a while. I don't post as much as I used to but still lurk around lol.
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:00 am

going to tree stand removing it from tree, leaving it at the base and leaving a note requesting the tree stand be removed from the property.

Just heard from owner he said "remove the stand do with what you want with it, trespassers are not welcomed.
RJR-007
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:10 am

I agree with the be nice approach. But I would also include on my note that you had plenty of not nice options and any future trespass is likely to result in you employing those not so nice options.

robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:17 am

Good, makes sense.
RJR-007
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:22 am

Hey Tim!!!

No they are way off course!

good to see you on as well....I've been sooooo busy!
RJR-007
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:18 am

Redman232 wrote:I once moved a climber to an afternoon setup after s morning hunt, we left to eat lunch, we came back and there was a note stating I was on private ground that was leased. I looked at my map closer and they were right I was about 20 yards to far off the field(property line was not marked). It was an honest mistake and I appreciated whoever left the note being cordial. It was my fault for being sloppy and not checking the map scale close enough. One property I hunt now gets people walking one it and hunting the perimeters(usually gun season). The land owner is a pacifist and won't raise a stink about it. I am always cordial but I do try to make them uncomfortable which is usually enough. But confront everyone or word will get out and there will be people walking all over you and the land owner.

X2

If it is newly marked with ribbons the hunter is likely planning on finding it in the dark for a morning hunt.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:36 am

What really is strange or different is the photos on my game camera prior to the markers being up, this person was being photographed at or near 6 / 6:15 p.m., 10/01, 10/03, 10/04 and 10/05 heading towards the deer stand without the markers.

You might be right or this guy is hunting at night and finding his way back in the dark.

Going to the tree / stand and attaching a note without taking the stand down;

Here is what the note will state;

To whom this stand belongs to;

You are on private property and this stand now needs to be removed immediately from this property. You do not have permission to be on this property and you are trespassing.

At this time the authorities have only been informed.

I appreciate your cooperation,

.....owners name.........
RJR-007
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:05 am

There can be some blurred lines on the topic, Iv had this problem on my Grandmas land twice (it butts up to a neighborhood) both times I piled there stand, feeder, and whatever else was there at the base of the tree with a tactfullt written note explaining I was the primary caretaker of the property and had given no one permission to hunt with me, and noted how I would like to keep it civil, but if I returned in 10 days and ther stuff wasnt removed I would be glad to remove it. Date sign and phone number. No more problems. However on others land iv had the same problem and actually lost permission myself by "aggrovating" the landowner with problems he hadnt anticipated "so from now on, no one hunts here." Be careful is all Im sayin, losing a good spot due to someone elses mistake is a bummer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”