Beast style questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trailboy

Beast style questions

Unread postby trailboy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:22 am

I have been listening and reading about Beast style hunting and am going to try it, but have a few questions. I live in N.E. Ohio, the terrain here is flat and hilly, kind of rolling. I hunt mostly semi private (like 8 to 10 hunter at sportsman's club) and public land. We have a lot of farm land here.

1. Is a mobile stand necessary? Like a Lone wolf (not that everyone uses that)

2. IF not, what are some tips for being on the ground and trying this?

3. I am using a crossbow, is there any different techniques in doing this?

Feel free to ask questions, the more info I can give the better you can help.

Thanks!

headgear
500 Club

Re: Beast style questions

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 am

I'd say hunting from the ground with a crossbow is about the most ideal setup you could get for beast hunting, you don't have to make any noise climbing a tree and without have to draw back you can really limit your movement and catch them by surprise. You just have to make sure you have decent shooting and watch your scent/wind/thermals and you should be plenty able to arrow a buck.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:06 am

One of the most important aspects of bed hunting is spring scouting. Knowing exactly where you can/can't set up is very important. I noticed that you joined recently so I just wanted to mention that. The first year or two are tough... It's quite a change from traditional tactics. This is my 2nd season hunting beast style and I'm just starting to get the pieces of the puzzle to fit.

As far as hunting on the ground is concerned, there is a thread in best all time tactical threads called success from the ground. Make sure you check it out, there is a lot of useful information in there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:59 am

Welcome! MAPS MAPS MAPS! Is the best tool in your . @ the top of DEER HUNTING forum TACTICAL THREADS will teach you more than few seasons of hunting. Good Luck
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:32 am

I love having mobile setups. Although lonewolf is pushed here, it doesn't have to be what you choose but I've been through other stands and they just don't compare to the lonewolf brand. I have the climber and aloha and sticks.. I'll tell ya, I enjoy using them and needing them for certain hunts that I haven't sat in a pre hung ladder stand yet this year

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:15 am

Don't get caught up in the money trap... If you can't afford L/W, BUY WHAT YOU CAN OR HUNT OFF THE GROUND. You don't have to 100% dive in... USE SOME OF THE TACTICS, and over time switch fully, or tweak it to adapt your own style of hunting...
Basically, take what you learn here and use what you can, but don't feel you immediately have to change everything.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:55 am

dan wrote:Don't get caught up in the money trap... If you can't afford L/W, BUY WHAT YOU CAN OR HUNT OFF THE GROUND. You don't have to 100% dive in... USE SOME OF THE TACTICS, and over time switch fully, or tweak it to adapt your own style of hunting...
Basically, take what you learn here and use what you can, but don't feel you immediately have to change everything.

I agree.

Being mobile is great and I highly recommend it but do what you can/want.

Read as much as you can and apply it to you! You'll have things click in your brain while your reading. I do recommend the marsh and Hill country DVDs.

A person with drive can and will succeed no matter how much their stand cost. Good luck and have fun.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:07 am

I am coming to the realization that hauling a treestand around has hurt my chances in many instances. From making noise due to getting hung up on brush, or getting busted while setting it up. Or setting it up in a wrong location not and not realizing it until I am sitting in the thing 15 ft up, and then not moving from that spot and then watching a target move right past where I wanted to move to. Sometimes I know I should walk through certain areas and scout around but I don't because I have the burden of a stand on my back.

With that said, a treestand has huge advantages as well. It can give you a shot in a spot where you would have no shot standing on the ground. Even getting off the ground 4 ft makes your surroundings much more visible and it will multiply your shot options. It is a necessary evil and a useful tool that I need to get better at using. I also wish sometimes I would force myself to leave it behind.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:10 am

hunter_mike wrote:I am coming to the realization that hauling a treestand around has hurt my chances in many instances. From making noise due to getting hung up on brush, or getting busted while setting it up. Or setting it up in a wrong location not and not realizing it until I am sitting in the thing 15 ft up, and then not moving from that spot and then watching a target move right past where I wanted to move to. Sometimes I know I should walk through certain areas and scout around but I don't because I have the burden of a stand on my back.

With that said, a treestand has huge advantages as well. It can give you a shot in a spot where you would have no shot standing on the ground. Even getting off the ground 4 ft makes your surroundings much more visible and it will multiply your shot options. It is a necessary evil and a useful tool that I need to get better at using. I also wish sometimes I would force myself to leave it behind.

So true!
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:51 am

Nothing is really required as long as you have a weapon to hunt with and time to get out and hunt. It can be easy to get caught up in the details and ultimately the details are what you will worry about at some point. Looking back at it, the thing I lack the most is time in the woods and time scouting. This site and the DVDs are great places to get you started, but it doesn't really all come together until you put some of this stuff in action and learn first hand from it.

Get by with what you can. Don't let the fact that you don't have a LW keep you from hunting from a tree if you have something else you can use. Xbows will make for better ground hunts. Have fun with it, think, learn and adjust.
trailboy

Unread postby trailboy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:31 am

I appreciate everyone's thought, this makes my 4th year of hunting, and have had some success, but want to broaden my skills and keep the freezer fuller. I sit in the shadows and read a lot of these post and don't join in due to my lack of experience, I would hate to give the wrong advice. I am always trying to learn more, every time I go out or listen to a podcast or watch a video, or from you guys.

I currently hunt 2 properties, one is my sportsman's club about 80 acres with about 15 others who are there at random, at this property I have a ladder stand and use a buddies blind when he isn't. The other property is 100 acre mostly farm with about 7 others. But I am getting more into public land since finding private is so hard.

If I were to buy a hang on, I like the Millennium M100U due to being able to leave the bracket, I think that would be helpful, but could get expensive.

In closing my record is this,
1st year, a 4 point with my uncle who was teaching me to hunt, and a doe (shot 2 got 1)
2nd, (2) 7 point, only retrieved 1
3rd year a button buck, bummer (my wife's doe was bigger and it was her first deer ever)
this year nothing yet, but I know I am going to score soon.

Oh and the DVD's are on my christmas list

Thanks again!
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:14 am

The description of the private ground you're hunting sounds like really high hunter pressure. You know your situation better than me, but I would definitely find other places to hunt. You don't have to give up what you've got already but absolutely add spots. If you are killing deer with that many other guys around you are doing something right already, good luck

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:25 am

hunter_mike wrote:I am coming to the realization that hauling a treestand around has hurt my chances in many instances. From making noise due to getting hung up on brush, or getting busted while setting it up. Or setting it up in a wrong location not and not realizing it until I am sitting in the thing 15 ft up, and then not moving from that spot and then watching a target move right past where I wanted to move to. Sometimes I know I should walk through certain areas and scout around but I don't because I have the burden of a stand on my back.

If I know I'm not going too terribly far I will take my stand off so I can sneak around quieter then go back and get it. If I find something good I carry it at my side and sneak back in. It sucks but it's better than crashing through with your stand on your back, or worse, skipping that spot.

Last edited by Lockdown on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:26 am

hunter10 wrote:I love having mobile setups. Although lonewolf is pushed here, it doesn't have to be what you choose but I've been through other stands and they just don't compare to the lonewolf brand. I have the climber and [glow=red]aloha[/glow] and sticks.. I'll tell ya, I enjoy using them and needing them for certain hunts that I haven't sat in a pre hung ladder stand yet this year

Ahhh, the limited edition sub-trpopical stand!

:lol: jk

To the OP, LW also has an EZ hang hook that could be left in a tree making the hanging process very easy. But if you really want to be mobile, the beauty of the hang on is you can go out and pick your tree on the fly based on wind or fresh sign observed. So having a certain tree picked with a bracket in it would be somewhat limiting in that aspect.

Good luck man, you are doing good so far. Just pick your spot on the deer, squeeze and follow through.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
trailboy

Unread postby trailboy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:42 am

I need to mention, that only 1 of my kills has been on my sportsman's club, the rest come from the uncles property in WV
and so far all have been with a gun/muzzle loader.
sorry for the confusion.

I agree, that the properties I hunt are highly pressured, that is why I am looking at more public land.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”