Factoring in Wind Speed When Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Factoring in Wind Speed When Hunting

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:42 am

Throughout my experiences hunting, I've come to the conclusion having a steady or constant wind is a key factor in my success. When I talk to people about hunting in wind especially windy days (15+mph) the majority tells me they don't see deer, they hate hunting in wind, and you can't hear the deer coming. Have you ever thought they can't hear you either!!?

I know this topic has been brought up numerous times but I wanted to stress the importance of wind when determining how and where I hunt. If winds are going to be low or light and variable hunting beddin areas is probably not your best option. No matter how hard I try I cannot get into bedding areas without making some noise. Some might be able to but not me. Hunting farther than normal away from bedding is a better option for me when there is light winds or it is quiet. When it is windy I push into the bedding hard. A lot of times when setting up I will be in sight of deer already from my tree. Setting up the sticks and stand in the wind while it's blowing heavy is crucial. Run and gunning areas in the swamp with the wind is a deadly tactic for me that I prove time and time again I can get in close to them on the public grounds.

When it is calm I will stick hunt bedding areas in the morning knowing I can get in there being loud knowing they are probably still out meandering around feeding or doing something out of their bedding areas. Calm afternoons area no go I will more than likely hunt pre scouted areas away from bedding or if I do have to run and gun I leaned this weekend it's a safer bet to stay roughly hundred yards or more away so chances of them hearing you walking or setting up is tougher for them.

I know there will be people to add to this topic and further elobrate. Just something to consider and think about. It's not only the direction to take into acount but when I see winds under 10mph I tend to not get as aggressive. Maybe this will help someone along the lines get on some deer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Redman232

Re: Factoring in Wind Speed When Hunting

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:07 am

I agree 100%, once I stopped being h#ll bent on getting to a spot and started recognizing where I can get in on calm days and where I need to wait for windy days my deer sightings sky rocketed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:13 am

Couldn't agree more.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:20 am

Agreed. I've found most guys that say high winds are bad for hunting don't hunt when there is high winds, so they say it more to justify their reasons instead of basing it off of observations. Also it's harder to sit in high winds than when it's calm from a stamina stand point, so when it's a hunt that takes a lot out of you, you remember the no deer sightings a lot more than when it was a call night to just enjoy the woods. It's the same reason guys don't want to cross water or take a long walk in the marsh. You remember the tough and bad days much easier than the easy days.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”