Fenceline Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Fenceline Hunting

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:36 am

I am looking at a limited draw public property that doesn't have a ton of cover on it, but has a few brushy fence lines that have ag fields on both sides. Unfortunately I was late to apply for this particular draw and really didn't expect to have my name drawn, so I don't have any boots on the ground intel. It's mostly flat country but there is a piece of private ground to the SE that looks like it would have good buck bedding on it (and no hunting pressure, or I would guess not being it is a cemetery).

What are your experiences hunting fencelines? There is a spot where three come together and form a small woodlot (less than an acre) (ag fields are to the east, SW with swampy marsh grass and brush to the NW) that has really drawn my interest. Access may be tough ,but I think I can modify to make it work because there is additional public access where they don't allow hunting, that I could use that could keep my scent off what I would expect the deer's path to be.

I might have time to sneak out later this week to do some glassing, and will do my best to make time for that. Just really interested in this particular spot.

Forgot to add that this is for this upcoming weekend. Am not trying to catch a buck on his way to his bed, rather thinking I might see some rut activity and might have some cruisers come through.

Bucky

Re: Fenceline Hunting

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:07 am

Stand right where they all come together!!!!! Killer spot

Most likely a peak rut cruzn spot...so I thinking one week later and you would be in the $$$. I don't think you will quite see that type of movement yet this weekend... but the Nov 1 or better yet Nov 6-10 that stand area sounds like a KILLER to me
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:23 am

Thanks for the insight. Maybe will hold off on this spot then until next weekend. There are two spots that look like this on this particular property. I think both could be very good and allow me to hunt different winds.

I think I will still glass out there and see if I can pick up on where some of the deer may be bedding.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:27 am

Bucky wrote:Stand right where they all come together!!!!! Killer spot

Most likely a peak rut cruzn spot...so I thinking one week later and you would be in the $$$. I don't think you will quite see that type of movement yet this weekend... but the Nov 1 or better yet Nov 6-10 that stand area sounds like a KILLER to me

X2!

I just pulled a camera from a wooded fence line that was next to standing corn and it was full of daytime activity. Fence lines are money and a magnet for rut travel rubs and scrapes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:27 am

What you describe sounds like a "rut highway"... doesn't really matter where the deer are bedding as long as you can get into stand without getting winded or bumping the does
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:55 am

Assuming that these are spots you'd want to sit all day then? After looking at the aerial, I keep seeing a couple of spots that I really want to hunt now! Need to get some intel on these spots from a distance from the ground.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:29 am

Hunted this property that I was talking about this morning. Did not hunt the funnel I initially thought would like good but found another spot out there that looked good as well. Nothing doing this morning and did not find much for fresh sign other than a good sized fresh rub. I have a hunch where there is some good bedding just off the property that is unhuntable. Think this spot might heat up soon. Sorry photo quality is poor due to lighting but bark was ripped off to my eye level. I am not a good reader of rubs but this definitely caught my attention

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Looks like a decent one made that.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:50 am

Looks good!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:00 am

Crossing my fingers that I didn't muck up the spot too bad. Had never been to it on foot and have tweeked my approach a bit. But being I had 0 on foot intel on this spot, had to dive in more than I probably should have at this time of year. We'll find out I guess. Still don't have much to work off of. That is about the only sign I found which seems to just indicate one was in the area somewhat recently.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”