Cattails and the Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mibowhunter
500 Club

Cattails and the Rut

Unread postby mibowhunter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:21 am

I feel I have a good grasp on deer bedding in cattail marshes thanks to Dan's DVD and feet on the ground. But I have one spot that I've noticed on a map, that I've never stepped foot on, that I'm wondering if it would be a good rut location? It is basically an island of trees and brush maybe 200 yards square... surrounded by cattails and a river. The nearest edge, whether it is the river or fields, is almost 500 yards away. I'm wondering if this would be a good spot to catch bucks cruising through or if anyone else has experience hunting a similar spot - would I just blow deer out that are bedding there and ruin my chances? Or is it a spot that bucks could show up at any time cruising around looking for does.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Cattails and the Rut

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:19 am

Sounds like a great spot to me. Bucks will cruise in the cattails and will sometimes pop up on an island or cruise the edge of the island. I would hunt it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Sounds like a great spot to me. Bucks will cruise in the cattails and will sometimes pop up on an island or cruise the edge of the island. I would hunt it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Follow JM's advice. Even if you screw up you're still going to learn about that spot and your techniques. Go in with a game plan and confidence.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:49 am

cattail marshes can be tough in rut... Bucks tend to cruise on the thick transitions thru the bedding areas on the edges. Find tight areas that offer you shots... Might sound basic, but they really stick to the thick and try to corral the does into the cattails.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks for the input guys. There is some pretty thick vegetation not far away from the island of trees. I might give it a shot and see what happens.... Worst case scenario, I get out there and it doesn't pan out, I can scout it out and determine if it is worth it next year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”