Can't help but laugh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Can't help but laugh

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:52 pm

fight nice guys. :lol:

ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:53 pm

For practice I would draw and aim at a deer I had no intentions of shooting, once that pin was settled in instinct took over and those deer ended up dead. No regrets. I don't do that anymore lol.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:00 pm

I think a lot of guys are scared to fail. Thats why they can't stand to pass up smaller bucks to wait for a big buck. Like Stan says, they aren't shooting big bucks, because, they aren't shooting big bucks, they are shooting small bucks… or something along those lines...

Last year was the first year I can remember that I did not kill a buck in my home state. But who cares, I learned a lot and had a blast.

Then there are the guys passing up good shooters for their area waiting on a buck that does not exist. Been there, done that...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:02 pm

ttsbuck wrote:For practice I would draw and aim at a deer I had no intentions of shooting, once that pin was settled in instinct took over and those deer ended up dead. No regrets. I don't do that anymore lol.

Sounds like me!! :lol: :oops:

Had to quit practice drawing on live targets!! :doh:

Sometimes the adrenalin takes over and everything goes out the window. Letting the 1st one go is the hardest!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Some guys can't hold back from taking a shot. Maybe it's a buck that's too small, or maybe it's a buck that's too far away. Like 78 yards or so. No difference--it's a lack of restraint. You should try to be more understanding...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:21 pm

It sounds like I'm in the minority here, I understood the OPS post, it's funny, that's all. It doesn't matter what anybody shoots, do what makes you happy, so if they are happy, shoot. If not, wait for better. I took a steep curve, quickly going from any buck, to holding out for 3 yr Olds on quick field judgement. When I say it, I mean it. If I shot a spike, my buddies would razz me, not fir a 4 pt but for saying something I didn't do.
This doesn't make me a bigger badder hunter, it just my choice, and I stick with it.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:25 pm

And, I like shooting deer as much as anyone here. It does take restraint sometimes but ultimately you only need to please yourself.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Motivated wrote:Some guys can't hold back from taking a shot. Maybe it's a buck that's too small, or maybe it's a buck that's too far away. Like 78 yards or so. No difference--it's a lack of restraint. You should try to be more understanding...

:lol:

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:44 pm

I feel like I missed something....

I probably shouldn't ask.

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:04 pm

My personal goals are my own and subject to change without approval or notice. ;)
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Motivated wrote:Some guys can't hold back from taking a shot. Maybe it's a buck that's too small, or maybe it's a buck that's too far away. Like 78 yards or so. No difference--it's a lack of restraint. You should try to be more understanding...

Hahahaha I feel theres a little dig in there towards me but my deers dead and I have no regrets. Also I feel like with anythjng in life if u say your going to do something you better or don't say anything at all. Was my shot risky sure but with great risk can come great reward! I bet the first guy that shot an antelope or mule deer long range out west was considered nuts but now thats the norm anyways I'm getting off topic

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by wolfie729 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:43 pm

johndeere506 wrote:It sounds like I'm in the minority here, I understood the OPS post, it's funny, that's all. It doesn't matter what anybody shoots, do what makes you happy, so if they are happy, shoot. If not, wait for better. I took a steep curve, quickly going from any buck, to holding out for 3 yr Olds on quick field judgement. When I say it, I mean it. If I shot a spike, my buddies would razz me, not fir a 4 pt but for saying something I didn't do.
This doesn't make me a bigger badder hunter, it just my choice, and I stick with it.

Somebodies getting it well said

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Earn what’s never given.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:15 am

After all the hard work & "crazy" things I put myself through to tag a buck on small parcels of heavily pressured state land here in michigan, even the small caliber bucks feel like trophys to me and they taste great! 8-)

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:51 am

Oh I can so relate to this, since this whole shooting mature deer thing is fairly new to me. In Florida seeing a fork is a big deal. But this will be the third year I have made the pilgramage to the family farms in KY. The first year I was told I could shoot anything I was happy with. I ended up shooting a 132"(gross) 9pt on the last day of the hunt. The one in my Avatar. After passing several obviously young bucks earlier in the week. Last year I shot a 100" 8pt on the first morning, because the neighbors were causing some issues and my cousin said If I wanted to hunt the stand I wanted to hunt I had to shoot anything 8pts or more (He was in a pissing match) I still love that deer too I made a great looking Euro mount. This year I have been swearing to myself I am going to hold out again and try to get something bigger then the 9pt, but who knows. 3.5yo is the set standard my cousin is trying to abide by and he does good. He hasn't killed a buck in 4 years because of it, but he has some booners on the wall.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Everything is so relevant. There are times I will shoot a doe if there is no meat in the freezer. Last year, I shot a 5 point buck on some public land that has so much hunting pressure you can hear other hunters grunting, and as the evening goes on, you can hear them get more desperate with each grunt. I almost always see cars parked , horse riders, scouters , bird hunters, and all kinds of other things. It took me three solid years to get a shot at a deer in those woods. I passed 2 marginal shots at does. Maybe ya all are laughing at me ! That;s ok, you might think I kind of suck at deer hunting ,I do , kind of , and I will shoot any deer sometimes, will pass on fawns most times and I only shoot deer that are what all of you guys would call total chip shots. I am very fussy when I let an arrow go cause I have wounded deer and I am sick for weeks after that so I decided to only shoot if there is a very best shot. When i got my buck last year it was my 1st southern WIs. deer. I have hunted southern WIs public land for 15 yrs off and on but only 3 years seriously. When I got that deer it was a tough track and I was very proud I got a buck on these circumstances . Because I had gotten a buck already that year , I passed on a spike way up north in Price co. in muzzy season cause I am happy with one deer a yr. If I shoot a second deer it will be a big buck. Because I am very fussy, I can be 100 % ethical on the shot and that is what makes hunting fun. It is kind of a freedom I have , I guess. I dont care what others think of me one bit when it comes to the deer God supplied for me. if they think less of me for my harvest , they have complex about themselves. . . . . . And I have passed up two bucks that would make anyone proud . I passed on a 14 point buck once . It was Nov. 4, 1995. I shot an nice 2 1/2 yr 8 point ( over corn) Yes, I used to hunt over corn. It was 4 degrees. When I shot , 2 other bucks and some does made a ruckus and in comes the biggest bodied buck I have ever seen. It had a drop tine on the left side. to boot. I even pulled back on it twice just to say I passéd on the 17 yd shot. 250 lbs gutted if it weighed an ounce. When I told everyone the story ,they told me I was crazy to pass a buck like that even though I had one dead in the brush, almost in sight. I would forever have to hide the truth that that beautiful buck was poached. It would forever needed to be a secret. . . And how many hunters out there would have shot both deer and hid the smaller buck to stoke their ego ? I also passed on a beautiful 10 or 11 point 13 yrs ago cause it was just a bit out of range ( 29 yds). I can live with the question of never knowing if I would have got the deer . I refuse to live with myself finding out I wounded a very rare 5-6-7 yr old buck that may very well die somewhere cause I wanted a pat on the back and to raise my status as a deer hunter. . . . . So, ya can't help but laugh? . . . . Neither can I .
Last edited by ihookem on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”