Newbie treestand questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CrazyBaldArcher

Newbie treestand questions

Unread postby CrazyBaldArcher » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:45 am

Having not grown up in a hunting family, I have some general questions.
I've hunted out west where you spot and stalk, so this whole sitting in a treestand is new to me.

What steps do you take to keep yourself quiet while in your stand?

What do you do to keep yourself awake and alert (I'm allergic to coffee)?

What do you take in your pack?

What do you take for food?

Climber or hanging treestand?

Do you shower before driving to your stand, do you strip and use the "no scent" wipes, or a combo of the both?

Are you a believer in a deer's ability to see the ultraviolet brighteners in your clothing?

Some of these I'm sure sound crazy but after reading several posts elsewhere I'm just trying to get my facts straight.

Thanks in advance,
CBA

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Newbie treestand questions

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:46 am

I'll try to keep it simple as there are many learning curves and personal favourites, wants and needs that come in mind when people choose hunting stands. Tree stands in general give the hunter a better advantage by getting up high. Depending what your wallet says and the type of land you hunt, I'd suggest a climber and a hangon with climbing sticks or a ladder stand. If you climb a tree buy a safety harness too! Stands range in price, comfort, longevity and style. To stay alert you just gotta keep looking around, eat a sandwich, read a book etc. A lot of guys like a backpack to fill all their gear, I prefer a fanny pouch when carrying a stand on my back. Do some research and don't go crazy on buying everything you see as a new hunter, most things aren't needed but every tv pro will tell you it is. A top 5 things I would say you should buy is quality warm hunting clothes and boots, safety harness, reliable bow/gun and stand in your case to hunt from and a range finder.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:00 am

Hang out on the Beast for awhile. The search function is your friend here. A good place to start is the Best tactical threads of all time.

I'll get you started. Click on the links below.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
CrazyBaldArcher

Unread postby CrazyBaldArcher » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:46 am

Wow! Well, looks like I've got a lot of reading to do.

Thank you
CBA

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:02 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You will see a variety of opinions on the topics your asking about. The thing is to find a starting point and build a routine, process, strategy, what ever you want to call it, that works for you and just continue to refine and build upon it…

If I am hunting all day I bring a sandwich and a couple snacks in ziplock baggies or an apple, something easy and quiet. I stay away from sweets personally. I don't bring food on sits that are only a couple hours.

I never have had a problem sitting quietly and focusing for hours, most guys I know cannot. Some bring handheld games, play apps on their phone or bring a book, some listen to music on their iPod, I can't get into any of that, it ruins the whole experience for me…

What to bring:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32487&p=443061#p443061

Climber vs Hang on:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31617&hilit=climber+hang

As far as scent control, the best thing you can do is be careful where you walk and pay attention to what way the wind is blowing. Showering, wiping down after walking in, keeping clothes scent free and free from UV brighteners are all easy/cheap precautions that can be taken that certainly will not hurt your chances in any way. I wouldn't personally go much further than that with the scent control and do anything expensive or extensive until giving serious thought to whether my return on investment of time/money will likely be favorable for my situation…

Best of luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:22 pm

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:
[glow=red]What steps do you take to keep yourself quiet while in your stand?[/glow]
Less movement. Focus on your surroundings. Listen and watch.

[glow=red]What do you do to keep yourself awake and alert (I'm allergic to coffee)?[/glow]
Anticipation, constantly scanning the area and listening.

[glow=red]What do you take in your pack?[/glow]
I probably take more than some of the other hunters here, but I like to be prepared. I have a headlamp, small knife, snuff can with milkweed seeds, 15 feet of para-cord, rangefinder, cell phone, rope with prusic knot for my safety harness, and one trauma bandage in case I have an accident.

[glow=red]What do you take for food?[/glow]
Usually nothing. I usually hunt a few hours at a time, but on all day sits, I will bring a bottle of water and granola bars.

[glow=red]Climber or hanging treestand?[/glow]
Climber, but i would recommend a Lone Wolf hang on stand with climbing sticks.

[glow=red]Do you shower before driving to your stand, do you strip and use the "no scent" wipes, or a combo of the both?[/glow] No.

[glow=red]Are you a believer in a deer's ability to see the ultraviolet brighteners in your clothing?[/glow]
I don't believe in it.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Welcome!

Crazinamatese wrote:
CrazyBaldArcher wrote:
[glow=red]What steps do you take to keep yourself quiet while in your stand?[/glow]
Less movement. Focus on your surroundings. Listen and watch.

[glow=red]What do you do to keep yourself awake and alert (I'm allergic to coffee)?[/glow]
Anticipation, constantly scanning the area and listening.

[glow=red]What do you take in your pack?[/glow]
I probably take more than some of the other hunters here, but I like to be prepared. I have a headlamp, small knife, snuff can with milkweed seeds, 15 feet of para-cord, rangefinder, cell phone, rope with prusic knot for my safety harness, and one trauma bandage in case I have an accident.

[glow=red]What do you take for food?[/glow]
Usually nothing. I usually hunt a few hours at a time, but on all day sits, I will bring a bottle of water and granola bars.

[glow=red]Climber or hanging treestand?[/glow]
Climber, but i would recommend a Lone Wolf hang on stand with climbing sticks.

[glow=red]Do you shower before driving to your stand, do you strip and use the "no scent" wipes, or a combo of the both?[/glow] No.

[glow=red]Are you a believer in a deer's ability to see the ultraviolet brighteners in your clothing?[/glow]
I don't believe in it.

Craz, I carry almost the same exact stuff with me in my pack plus a handheld gps and and half a roll of TP :mrgreen:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:20 pm

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:What steps do you take to keep yourself quiet while in your stand?

Comfort is key. Pick a stand or seat that you are comfortable in.

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:What do you do to keep yourself awake and alert (I'm allergic to coffee)?

I like my coffee and always take a small thermos. In the end all coffee does is make you a wide eyed sleepy person.
Sleep is the only real cure but if you want caffeine there are plenty of caffeinated drinks out there.

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:What do you take in your pack?

Food, water, TP, snacks, knife, license and tags and pen, gallon bags and rubber gloves for dressing, reflective tacks, deer calls, GPS and compass,
Headlamp, flash light, spare batteries, hand/toe warmers as necessary, and a Montana decoy at times.

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:What do you take for food?

Sandwiches, apples, granola bars, nuts. I remove any noisy wrappers prior.

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:Climber or hanging treestand?

When hunted from a tree it was a Summit climber as they are very comfortable.
Now I pretty much hunt on the ground.

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:Do you shower before driving to your stand, do you strip and use the "no scent" wipes, or a combo of the both?

I shower and get dressed at the house.

CrazyBaldArcher wrote:Are you a believer in a deer's ability to see the ultraviolet brighteners in your clothing?

I am undecided.

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”