Riverbottom hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeD

Riverbottom hunting

Unread postby JakeD » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:21 am

So I'm still new here, so I may be missing any other postings on this topic, but who here hunts riverbottoms against major rivers? I saw the riverbottom threads in the all time tactical posts, but didn't see anything about hunting along something like the Mississippi River. I would like to hear others thoughts about how they hunt these bottoms. I hunt them on a regular basis and it seems to be quite a bit different than hunting small river bottoms where the deer will actually cross the river. Here they don't really have that option and just wondered how anybody approached hunting this style of ground.

Lockdown

Re: Riverbottom hunting

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Hunting near a lake or big river is entirely different than hunting near a small traversable river IMHO. When big bucks choose a bedding area, they choose areas where they can easily detect danger, and easily escape. I have scouted multiple properties that have big open water, and I have yet to find a bed on points or oxbows where swimming is their only getaway. Water shallow enough that they can bound through, or rivers narrow enough that they can quickly swim across are great options for escape. No human or coyote can keep up with a deer bounding through 18" of swamp water and cattails. Swimming long distances leaves them out in the open and vulnerable.

I was on a thread the other day that touched on this same subject. Someone commented, and it makes perfect sense to me, that they will bed near these bigger bodies of water, but just far enough from the edge that they can skirt around you. They won't let themselves be backed into a corner so to speak. I hope this helps and I'll see if I can find the thread for you.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:15 pm

davglo35

Unread postby davglo35 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:08 pm

I hunt big river bottoms and when the bucks are on their feet looking for does one of their strategies for locating them is to cruise the river edges hoping to cut a trail of a doe in heat. When does are in or near estrus they will be dogged by younger bucks and will move more than normal. This increased movement leads to thirst and the does will at some point head to the river to drink.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JakeD

Unread postby JakeD » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I've noticed the same thing that you are both talking about. Most often these deer do not bed right against the river. From what I have seen in years past is that they prefer being in the timber approximately 3/4 of the way in. It still allows them to go out the back door so to speak and sneak out along the river.

I have also noticed how much the bucks use the river to their advantage during the rut. They get the wind blowing out to the river and all they have to do is cruise right above the bank to find any does that may be in heat. It's a great way for them to stay on the downwind side of everything. But it's also a great way for me to sit right against the river and they have no way of smelling me.

Another question that I have: How do you deal with constant swirling winds. Where I hunt on the river is essentially a giant peninsula and the wind is a constant battle. It doesn't matter what it's forecasted for, most hunts the wind will swirl from almost every direction. Sooooo many bucks lives have been spared due to this and I haven't found a solution for it other than to pray that it holds steady when they get close.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”