No Hunting Sign on Public Land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

No Hunting Sign on Public Land

Unread postby Country » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:00 pm

On the way out fory afternoon sit, I stumbled across a "No Hunting" sign that is listed as public on the WI DNR website. Either the information is incorrect or someone is that much of a loser that they feel they have to/can post land that isn't theirs. Not surprising.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: No Hunting Sign on Public Land

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Careful, I was out of state last month and ran into some state forest that was marked as WMA on DNR map. No hunting allowed in state forest in that state.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:03 pm

My Dad told me that back in the day hunting NY public land that guys would put up private land signs on the edges of state land to keep others out. I would call ahead and confirm whether it was the DNR or some loser trying to stake a claim.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:07 pm

I will call the DNR, that's a good idea. Also, I know that sign was not there last season.

WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:20 pm

i only bow hunt so on my 100ac farm i would buy those cheap orange vests and put them around trees ,just inside my woods on opening day of gun season. put one on every corner,and three facing the road.........it worked!
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:02 pm

[quote="WEEGEE"]i only bow hunt so on my 100ac farm i would buy those cheap orange vests and put them around trees ,just inside my woods on opening day of gun season. put one on every corner,and three facing the road.........it worked![/quote

That's a good idea!!!!!

I live in Massachusetts. Sadly - the fruit loops out here pull this crap all the time. Fortunately the state is very clear about what land (called wildlife management areas) that you can hunt. The anti's also post the signs on lands that are owned by private land/conservation trusts. But in our state if the land owner takes the conservation land tax exemption then they have to make the land accessible to the public for all lawful activities - hunting included. The state also identifies these lands on the state wide online GIS mapping system.

Sadly a large number of hunters are uneducated to these facts. So when they see a sign posted on land they can hunt - they obey it - despite it basically being meaningless, unenforceable and actually an illegal posting. Me - I just laugh at them as I walk by. One time I had a guy give me a hard time and point out the sign. I looked at him and basically said that since he's so familiar with the sign I'm assuming he had something to do with it's posting. So why don't we call the EPO (Mass's environmental police - who are charged with enforcing hunting laws and regs) and we can see who's right. After we get that sorted out I'll advise the officer I will sign a complaint of hunter harassment. A misdemeanor criminal charge under state law..... He left me alone after that.. the sign is still up. I still ignore it. Seems to keep some of the other hunters off the land. So part of me doesn't mind so much...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Basically its up to you to make sure its public, and that hunting is allowed before you enter... I have ran into both sides. I hunted a public property I found in the "all outdoors atlas" for several years and even guided a couple clients there when I was a guide. Then one time I showed up to hunt and there was no hunting signs all over the place... I checked it out to make sure and found out that the atlas had made an error, and the portion of property I had been hunting was actually someones private property... It would of been easy for me to not check it out because most of the time it turns out to be other "hunters" with low morals trying to keep a spot for themselves.

I have other properties where the neighbors are managing for trophy bucks and post the public, harass, the hunters, block the access, call in false poaching or land abuse claims, etc... One thing is for sure, look at what happened to Andrae over forgetting to buy a $5 stamp. The public will crucify you if you make a mistake and have something on your record hunting related, especially guys who are in the spotlight, but it could come back to haunt anybody. BEST TO MAKE SURE...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:44 am

I have seen a number of incorrect no trespassing signs in Iowa, guys trying to keep others out of their honey hole or away from their fence line. I have also seen guys move public land border markers around to for the same reason.

Always try to verify thru multiple sources. I have been told what turned out to be incorrect information by CO's and people at the state level before. I have the best luck talking to county GIS folks in Iowa about discrepancies. They seem to be able to read a map.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:02 am

I'm going to hunt a property tonight with a "no trespassing" posted 100 yards into the public land. Best best is looking at your county GIS website and confirming based on land marks. Sometimes a GPS is needed.

There are a lot of areas like this I've seen in the S. Kettle Moraine in SE WI.

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:17 am

Onyx app on your phone is a good resource as well as GIS. Although I have seen instances using both that have been outdated. I know for a fact that DNR use the GIS website though so that is probably your best bet.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:43 am

Well, I looked at the GIS and it appears I am the idiot. Sure enough, there is a tiny bit of private land there...luckily my kill tree looks public, I'll just have to find a different route to the tree. Dang. Thanks for the advice. Glad I checked now.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Was it MFL/FCL land? If so, you want to make sure you are hunting the portion of the land that is in the MFL or FCL. There is a feature on there that allows to see that.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:34 pm

I had been hunting a piece of state land for several years and one day signs popped up all throughout the area. I double checked my maps and called the game warden to make sure that I was not trespassing. The game warden called the person listed on the no trespassing signs and ordered them to take the signs down. It is always best to check.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”