Vacation days?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

Vacation days?

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:52 pm

So I've managed to save up about three weeks of PTO since I started my job in March. I plan on taking two weeks off soon for bowhunting and then the full week of gun season here in WI. I'm debating on starting the bowhunting time off during the last week of October. My option would be October 29-November 11. Otherwise I could take off October 31-November 15.

I know the start is only a couple days difference and the first one is a couple days shorter simply because of how the weekends line up on either end of the time but wondering what guys would choose.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Vacation days?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:39 pm

In WI, I'd pick 29th start. 31st start for MO or S IA.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm actually debating a very similar scenario right now... I'll be hunting Wisconsin and cant' decide if I should go back to start the 28th or the 30th. I've been having discussions with some guys from MI and WI, and get really varied answers on when to start. Some guys will take the 29th start and say once you get to Nov 8-9 lockdown starts, others say they hate that last week in Oct and would rather have the 2nd week of November. the days line up a little bit weird this year for me taking vacation, usually I don't have to make this choice and start around the 31st and hunt through the 10th or so.

I don't know what to do. haha I can't check cameras beforehand either, once I'm there I'll check them but by then I've alreayd made the trip and will be starting regardless of the intel.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:38 pm

It's always tough to know. I usually get 3 days to be out during the week. I had been doing 2nd week of November. Was always spotty, shifted to 1st week, sometimes good, sometimes not. This year I will play it by ear, planing on one day late next week, then depends on weather.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 pm

I have consistently seen a shooter buck on Nov. 2 in WI. I like from Halloween to Gun hunting. That said the strong movement chasing is not an exact date or days but is much more locally controlled. If your area has a couple of does come in action should be good. I see the action kinda ebb and then blow up within this time frame. I got 2 weeks off from Halloween. Will scout hunt and move to where the action is. Don't sit to long without action. Move road scout hunt smart good luck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:54 am

alsheimer theory is saying it will start get good this weekend (more daylight movement and major increase in automobile accidents and buck sightings in fields) and really heat up halloween-nov 8th

i would never place all my eggs in one basket but he has a strong following for rut predictions
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”